**** DONE: 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire 1 - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work Peter, and I agree, the cockpit colour looks good enough to me.
Although it's an 'early' Spit, it's in the 'X' serial range, so not that early, so the colour is more than likely correct, or as near as dammit for the scale. As far as I know, it was the very early Spits which were lighter in colour, and then only by a 'shade' or so, I believe.
The oldest Spitfire in existence is the Mk1, K9942, in the RAFM, Cosford. Although it's difficult to assess properly in the photo below, the green colour can be seen behind the seat, and although it is lighter than what became the 'standard' grey-green, in 'real life', when viewing it in the Museum, it's not that far removed, and would only really be noticeable if compared side-by-side.
I'm really hacked-off that the Museum is having their next 'Open Cockpits' nights on the same weekend as the BoB 75th airshow at Duxford, so I can't go - and K9942 is one of the aircraft being opened-up for viewing, although understandably, it's viewing only, no sitting in this one !

Attachments

• Peter 1.jpg
    Peter 1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 81
Thanks Guys

I also had a crack at the exhaust today, and this is what I came up with. Patchy combination of black, burnt iron (MM), burnt sienna, buff, and clear blue.

Cheers for now.

Peter

Attachments

• Dscf1120.jpg
    Dscf1120.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 95
  • Dscf1121.jpg
    Dscf1121.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 76
All good stuff Peter and you and I are obviously good fans of the white undercoat before yellow.

Thanks All

75 years today, since Pat Hughes rammed into the Dornier and died attempting to bail out from the stricken X4009. Not quite 23 years old at the time.

Attachments

• 1-pat-hughes-w640h480 resized.jpg
    1-pat-hughes-w640h480 resized.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 72
Today's Update

Pic 1-4 Undercarriage up-locks

Airfix chose to mold the undercarriage without the prominent uplocks, These stick out from oleo, but I don't see why Airfix chose to ignore them. I cross checked with the Eduard and ICM spitfire kits that I have, and they both were able to mold them on. To represent them I cut and drilled some spare brass PE fret that I had from another project. A bit small and fiddly. I did three because I was sure one would get lost. Got there in the end. No need for the spare. 8)

Pic 5-7 Radiator Detail

I intend to have the radiator shutter full open and so it needs some extra details. It's missing the fuel vent in the front of the radiator opening which I have added with brass rod. I have also added the gun heating ducts which distribute hot air to the eight guns. The ducts are obvious if the flap is left open and I've made them with stretched sprue. Also the bracing for the radiator flap has been added and the rear edge of the flap has been thinned down. I've also thinned down the intake and outlet for the oil cooler to provide something closer to scale thickness.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• radiator 001.jpg
    radiator 001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 74
  • radiator 002.jpg
    radiator 002.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 78
  • landing gear.jpg
    landing gear.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 89
  • P1040407.jpg
    P1040407.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 76
  • P1040403.jpg
    P1040403.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 78
  • P1040406.jpg
    P1040406.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 83
  • P1040412.jpg
    P1040412.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 71
  • gun heater diagram.jpeg
    gun heater diagram.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 78
  • undercarriage diagram.jpeg
    undercarriage diagram.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 76
Very nice work there Peter. The Tamiya kit is also without the under-wing gun heating outlets, the small, elongated 'blisters, open at the rear, as well as other vital parts, such as the seat armour !
BTW, that curved pipe in the front of the radiator is the de-icer spray tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back