**** DONE: 1/48 Typhoon Mk.1B RCAF 143 16 Wing Comm 1944 Commonwealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well another spanner in the works, the gods don't want me to finish this bird. Seems all the work I put into the ailerons has been in vain, they are toooo thin! I am going to make a casting of a pair of Hurricane ailerons, but because the hinge points don't match up I will fill them with clay before casting. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• 15a ailerons.jpg
    15a ailerons.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 15c ailerons.jpg
    15c ailerons.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 82
You could try separating the kit ailerons at the hinge line, and building the aerofoil section with plastic rod. Then sand to the required profile. That's the way I normally do it, and find it much easier, quicker and less expensive than casting or buying resin parts.

As it's got the flap kit installed, I can't pinch the wing together. I have made the mold last night from the Hurry kit pieces. I will try casting before I am off to work today. I can button this thing up and start painting when I get this resolved. I can use the Hurry pieces, but then I won't have the complete Hurricane set if I decide to one of them later on. But it may come to that.

Well, it's all been sorted. I started to refit the Hurricane ailerons, but had too bloody much trouble trying to fill the existing slots. Tried the green petty for ruff filling, then they gray for the little gaps. But the green wouldn't hold, just bloody well popped out. Then I tried filing a slot and glueing in a rod, no luck.

So I found that my casting stuff was contaminated by me putting it in bottle that had a little spout to let out small amounts, the plastic bottle was crap. I had only put a small amount in the bottles, so I cast another set. These the gray filler worked, and was able to cut slots for the hinge plates. I used the flat tab of the sprue for the plates.

So, the tail is all set, and the wings are good. Hope I can have this finished by the 28th!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 16a ailerons.jpg
    16a ailerons.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 16b ailerons.jpg
    16b ailerons.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 16c tail.jpg
    16c tail.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 87
Good recovery Bill, it's looking good and if you ask nicely I'm sure our mate Terry will extend February to 30 days if need be and especially if you wish him happy birthday on the 29th..................

Vic, I will mark my calendar!

Like the Spit, I glued loose seams, filled and finished. And like the Spit, this is a well used aircraft so I may undercoat with silver, use a salt slurry to weather and darken the colours for well aged look.? Or bleach them out? Should the colours be the same as the Mk.22 I am working on?? Bill

Final fitting is proving to be pretty good actually. Ailerons are working well along with the tail feathers. Most everything else is coming along well.

Attachments

• 17a final fit.jpg
    17a final fit.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 17b final fit.jpg
    17b final fit.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Back