**** DONE: 1/72 Lockheed P-38H Lightning - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sounds good Michael. At a guess, I'd say a PTO aircraft would probably have the antenna wires - range involved might restrict use of VHF.
For future reference regarding 'empty' wheel wells, the 'standard', and easiest way to take care of them is to 'box them in'. In other words, make fore and aft bulkheads and, if necessary, a roof, from plastic card. This is an old kit, dating back to the 1960s originally, possibly slightly up-dated in the early 1980s, and the open bays was common with most manufacturers in those days - some kits didn't even have wheel bays, just etched outlines, and a hole in which to stick the gear leg!

I realize now that i should have done a couple of things that were just plain dumb omossions. Last night was a bit of recovery really.

The dumb mistakes so far are

1) Breaking the props. Totally avoidable if I had been less heavy handed
2) Not putting enough weight in the nose....i could have avoided that if I had tested the balance a bit more carefully
3) Not asking and then checking the finished colours
4) messing around with the model before the Decals were properly dry
5) not sealing up the undercarriage wells before installation

Ive maanged to deal with each of these errors as they have arisen, but it would have been so much better not to have made silly errors in the first place.

All of us have probably been there at one time or another Michael, it's all part of the learning curve.

I agree with the guys.
All of the things you mention, you've now noted, and won't do it again!
I always examine a kit thoroughly before even thinking of building, followed by a test fit. This allows areas to be identified which might need improving, or modification, or bits added, and also shows if, for example, a wheel bay needs blanking off, or can it be left if it won't be seen, and so on.

Ive made some further progress, and apologize for the lack of photos.....just forgot this time.

Ive put in the antennae at the rear....looks terrific to be honest. Finished the undercarriage, and then found still not enough weight....fixed that by hiding a bit more weight in the bottom of the wheel wells, and then painting them to blend in. im using flat lead strip....flashing and cut it to size so it looks like the bottom of the well.

i fitted the landing lights had to touch up here and there, but now am basically waiting for the replacement decals. Its just about finished in other words.

Despite all the setbacks, this model went together quite easily, and it looks as pretty as a pin to me. its probably the best build Ive done so far.

Ill post some interim photos tomorrow or Sunday. I have another model to enter, but ill keep you guys in suspence for the moment.....the next one is very interesting IMO

Looking good Michael, I have broken many pieces off left several finger prints and damaged more decals than you can count. So we have all learned from this. oh bye the way super glue hates me.

as promised, here are some shots of the (almost) finished P-38. I am now basically awaiting the arrival of somw replacement tail decals. It needs a bit of an overall cleanup, but overall, I think pretty good. Happy with the aerial fits, the clarity of the canopy and the scratch built harness, which looks really good at normal scale. Less than happy with the props . Okay with the colours as they finally finished. i made an attempt at the fadde in colours, but i havent yet got that quite right as yet. i finished up using dry brushing to try and get the fade in effect....I couldnt get tery's method to work for me, will keep trying to perfect the technique

Attachments

• 102_2516.jpg
    102_2516.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 102_2558.jpg
    102_2558.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 102_2559.jpg
    102_2559.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 102_2560.jpg
    102_2560.jpg