**** DONE: 1/72 Lockheed P-38H Lightning - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks guys. I do like the look of it, and I just want the decals to arrive so i can finish. As always you look at your work and think "i could have done this or this better...if only" Bad self talk.....I try to look at it and see what ive done right instead.

Great outcome considering the difficulties. As for mistakes, still make 'em and I probably always will. Never the same one twice, just new ones.

Geo

Terrible news. My replacement decals arrived yesterday, and I started last night to apply them. Everything was going really well. But it was really cold last night, and at one point I decided to go into the house for a cup of tea. Had left the heater on, and inadvertently left the model near the heater (absent minded mistake). Got distracted inside and the model was exposed to radiant heat which warped one of the booms and part of the tail from the superharger intake and back. . i was lucky I didnt have a fire actually.

I have a friend that gave me an incomplete (unassembled) copy of this kit, so i do have a lot of spares, including the parts needed for this repair. I think I can remove the warped bits and replace them with the spare tail assembly. Most of the model is undamaged, but its a huge setback. The biggest problem is that the radio aerial that I had done so sucessfully will now need to be redone.....B*gger, b*gger, b*gger......

Put this one down to stupidity. I thinkk I can recover, but its not going to be easy. most of th model is okay, but now i have a major recovery operation to undertake. Very upsetting I can tell you.

Quick question. Am I correct in saying that the GB runs until the end of August, or is it the end of July? I always forget that sort of thing. If its the end of August I can still do the two entries I have in the GB....but if itsd earlier, I will probably need to make a choice as to which one I will finish in time.

I might post photos of the damage the model suffered for your opinions

okay, this is my stepby step recovery. i hope this works. first the stareting shots to show the dameg. ive already attached a second lne to the rearof the cockpit area. its not yet attached to the tail boom area

nextstep, cut and drill the replacement boom assembly and then cut off the damaged one

Attachments

• 102_2619.jpg
    102_2619.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 72
  • 102_2620.jpg
    102_2620.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 77

Users who are viewing this thread

Back