**** DONE: 1/72 Supermarine Seagull V - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

These are the progress shots that i have been promising. im pretty tired, as i pulled an 'all nighter' to get to this point. happy with the rigging....but lots of cleanup work as the close ups clearly show. I can only say that at normal magnification, none of thathorrible seam roughness is even visible, though some work is obviously needed.

At this stage, i will complete the cleanup, attach the tail support spars and then spray and seal the exterior, before applying the decals, fitting the U/C and the bits and pices. im still considering how best (if at all) to fit the radio mast....

Attachments

• 102_2601.jpg
    102_2601.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 102_2602.jpg
    102_2602.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 102_2603.jpg
    102_2603.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 102_2604.jpg
    102_2604.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 65
Thanks guys. Last night got the bug again and worked on the cleanup. The main problem are the joins, particularly at the leading and trailing edges. But there are lumps and bumps allover it.

Ive addreses the roughness of the seam lines by using the GW "greeen stuff". I call it green sh*t. Not populer around here, especially with you experienced guys, because the finish is not quite as good, but for people like me with limited skills, working on very small imperfections and in a confined space like btween the wings, it was perfect. The material is more liquid than putty, so it tends to flow into holes, cracks and the like and at least makes them rounded and less jagged. I havent taken any close up shots yet, but everything looks smoother.

Only problem i can see is that this stuff is a strong green colour and will need some kind of priming to mask the colour...otherwise it will show through this nearly white/ light grey (I will use tamiya "Royal Light Gray") ...How best to mask or undercoat these areas (mostly around the edges without over applying paint.....I was thinking using a brush on the filed areas, and then applying the top coat using the gun..

Another issue I have to resolve are the radio masks. A couple of things really. Firstly the rear tail is supposed to have a guide hole into which the footing for the mask is supposed to be inserted. However, they dont in fact align, so there is no hole. The tail is too thin to drill a hole, but a small cut at right angle to the fin will give me a good anchor point for the tail mast. Drilling a hole into the top surface of the top wing (the other end of the array) is no real problem.

The other issue that i can see is that the radio masks themselves are hopelessly weak and i doubt they will stand the strain of the tensioning process. I have a plan to fabricate replacement masts using 0.5mm steel rod which i think would serve as an adequate, and vastly stronger substitute. I was thinking of puting a small collar around the top of each mast, to create a anchoring point for the line. I would loop the line around the mast head, above the collar before gluing it into place with CA. Ive attached a sketch of what I intend to do......any suggestions?

Attachments

• Mast asesmbly.pdf
    169.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Good job on the rigging and the radio mast plan sounds good. Regarding your putty. I gave up on green stuff a long tome ago and started using Bondo® Spot Putty. I think Bill( N4521U) uses it as well. I've had this tube for about five years and the tube is still half full. If you've seen my other GBs involving Hobbycraft models, you know I use a lot of this stuff. I've seen it listed for about 4$ Can. I know a lot of people use gap filling super glue but I haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

8205072.jpg

Geo

Last edited:
Thanks...i will see if i can source the stuff... here is a rough shot of the kit supplied mast next to the steel rod I think i will use. The kit supplied is better shape, but i think too weak. What are peoples opinions....would it stand up to tensioning?

Attachments

• 102_2605.jpg
    102_2605.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 64
The rigging looks very nice. I haven't really found a putty or other filler that works well for me yet, either. I have tried the Bondo putty in the past, but it has been a while, and I should probably give it another go. I can't get the green stuff to work worth a flip.

As far as the mast, I would try the kit piece first. If you use stretched sprue, it doesn't require a lot of tension. If you're going to go with the invisible thread for consistency, your mast plan is probably the way to go.

As far as the Bondo goes, get yourself to an auto body repair shop. They may part with a tube that has an ounce or two in it, or give you an idea where you might get a tube. Auto paint stores will have it.

CAUTION, light layers of the stuff, too thick and it will deform the plastic. But building up works a treat.

guys, a quick update

Ive used the plastic kit masts and attached the rigging for the radio array. worked well. sometimes my fears have no good base.....

As for filling, well, the bondo stuff does sound a good idea, but ive actually used the green goo on this job. . Unpainted its hard to tell whether its worked okay or not, but seems pretty okay.

ive also attached the tail spars.

In my opinion, the model is getting quite close to being ready for painting....

I applied the top coat colour. its come pretty well, but this colour....it looks for all the world like a dull undercoat. Im also unsure if ive got the colour quite right. The paininting instructions say 'light grey". Ive used taniya "Royal light gray'. Ive attached the box art and the colour plates included in the kit for people to judge and comment for me. if i keep this colour, i will apply a semi gloss hardcoat over the top which might shine up the finish a bit....

Actual application has come up pretty well....no real bad lumps or bumps, no runs in in the application. filling work has also finished up okay as well

Attachments

• 102_2606.jpg
    102_2606.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 102_2608.jpg
    102_2608.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 71
  • 102_2609.jpg
    102_2609.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 102_2610.jpg
    102_2610.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 102_2611.jpg
    102_2611.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 102_2613.jpg
    102_2613.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 102_2614.jpg
    102_2614.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 61
OK. What does the instruction say ? ... what brand of colours do you use ?

According to my references it should be the silver ( aluminium ) paint but not the light grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back