**** DONE: 1/72 Supermarine Seagull V - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys...yes i will keep the scratch build, but ive made a few fundamental errors. The biggest one is underestimating the length of the launch rail. Based on the width of my launch apparatus (which is about right relative to the width of the aircraft fuselage, I should really almost double the length of the rails. I moght not be able to achieve that, but it might be possible to somehow lengthen the launch rails a bit.....Im not sure. Not sure I can do that but I will give it some thought on if or how it might be done.

My launch pulleys are far too big and there are additional pulleys that I need to think about. Even if i ignore those that cant really be seen, I need to think about adding at least another 4 or 6 pulleys. The pulleys might not be so out of scale if i can achieve a lengthed launch rail, but i will again have to give this some thought.

There is also a different detail for the access catwalks to those that I could see in the photographs. They are probably mesh types which I should be able to add.

Wurger, I really do want to thank you for that drawing. I should now be able to finish the launch catapult a little bit more authentically looking. But i have a lot of work to do, I can see. The scratch build catapult will easily be as complicated, or more, that the actual aircraft.

What are your opinions on the a/c colour. Does it need some sort of clear/grey over wash. Thats going to be a difficult thing to do, and Im not objective enough to work that one out for myself....at the moment I think its okay, but feel free to give your own views and advice. thats what Im here for....to listen and learn.

I like it! Well done Michael, and good stuff Wojtek.
Now, how long do you think it'll take you to scratch-build the rest of the ship .....?!!

Similar things have been done. there is a roughly 1/72 model of the Perth at the AWM. Quite apart from the fact that I wouldnt know where to start, even if i knew how to build something like that....maybe 3 years, working every weekend

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

I do like that launch rail Michael and personally I would not spend too much time on the rail as the aircraft sitting on it will be the star attraction. Maybe if you can, lengthen it but don't worry about the small detail, with the scale your working in much of it would be unnoticeable.

Must also say that that wee Seagull is looking very good.

I agree with Vic. Personally, I'd leave the launch ramp as it is - it's a good representation, and sets of the model nicely. It doesn't need to be full size, but just enough to illustrate the concept.

Would agree too. Unless you really want to do an exact replica, I would say it looks the part as is, and a neat use of old materials. I certainly wouldn't know the difference!
No idea re the aircraft finish btw...looks good to me!

(Wojtek, great info mate!)

Great looking catapult Parsifal. Not up on Australian colors and I'm trying to remember the name of the author who did a series of "Coloring Books" first name I believe is Ian. He also did some articles in a British aircraft model magazine.

Geo

EDIT:Memory bank seems to thinks it's Ian Baker.
EDIT,EDIT:It's Ian K. Baker
parsifal.JPG

Last edited:
thanks guys. Very encouraging...I needed that. temporarily have this project on hold whilst I finish the P-38 project i have also entered....have made myself some difficulties, but am working/muddling through. Should be back to finish this one off in about a week i should think.

well Im back aftercompleting the P-38. I left this project last week with the fuselage painted and the basic structure of the launch catapult done. it was clear also that I needed to find a good set of walkaround photos, which I have now done. This link will take you to a very detailed photo record of what the aircraft basically looks like inside and out.

Supermarine Walrus

Of particular interest at this point is how the launch dolly, which i am yet to build, is attached to the aircraft and where.

The following photos ive taken from the above website and give clear images of these details. they are missing from the aircraft, which means I will have to fabricate them and attach them to the aircraft.

Construction of the dolly will be tricky. Not only does it need to look authentic, it also has to possess quite a bit of strength, as it will need to support the considerable weight of the model (which has lead balncing weights in the tail). i will need to support the lightweight styrene framing with high tensile rigid wire or similar,to get the necessary strength.

Ive made a start, but nothing to show just yet.

Attachments

• launch bracket detail.jpg
    launch bracket detail.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 84
  • Supermarine_Walrus_HD-874_RAAF%20Museum_walkaround_029[1].jpg
    Supermarine_Walrus_HD-874_RAAF%20Museum_walkaround_029[1].jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 101

Users who are viewing this thread

Back