**** DONE: Bf109E4 'White 6' I/JG3 BoB Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got the engine done as far as it can go for now. The rest, and final retouching, will be done once it's installed, near the end of the build.
The main firewall, with the ammo tanks and the MG17s has been assembled, and the tank retaining bracket added from foil, but has yet to have extra detail added and paint applied. The guns themselves will be cleaned -up and a little detail added once they've set. They were too difficult for me to hold to drill the cooling jackets and muzzles, due to this bl**dy arthritis !
The masking tape in the pics of the ammo tanks is covering the area where wiring and relays will be added, once painted and installed in the fuselage.
Next, it's down to some real work, deciding what parts to use in the cockpit, and what to scratch-build if some parts are 'donated' to the Hasegawa kit.
More soon, hopefully.

Attachments

• BoB Build 2 013.jpg
    BoB Build 2 013.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 102
  • BoB Build 2 014.jpg
    BoB Build 2 014.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 102
  • BoB Build 2 017.jpg
    BoB Build 2 017.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 86
  • BoB Build 2 018.jpg
    BoB Build 2 018.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 88
Terry, just read the .pdf about Schnaubel. What a great read!! Now this is what they ought to make movies about!

Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed the account of Schnabel's escapades Chris. And to think, he was still recovering from the bullet wound from earlier in the year, and certainly not in the best of health.
Karl - couldn't really resist it mate, although most of it will be hiiden most of the time, unless the cowling is removed.

Thanks Lewis. When you come to do yours, make sure the little engine mount on the bottom, rear of the engine block is properly fitted and aligned (Part No. 15), and that the locating tab is trimmed and sanded smooth and even. Also, ensure the corresponding slot in the firewall / ammo tank front base is opened up properly (Part No. 53). Test fit the engine into this slot before the firewall is glued into the fuselage, as this is where the engine pack, with engine bearers, fits at the end of the build. It has to be slipped in at an angle and, I seem to remember the last time I built this kit, 20 odd years ago, that it's a real awkward bar steward to get into place. It's doubtful if the ends of each engine bearer lower locating point will actually attach to anything substantial, as the mounting is a bit vague, and difficult to align properly, as access is zero.
When I get to that part, I'll try to photograph it so that you'll see how to get it in. Even if the engine isn't going to be displayed, it must be aligned properly, otherwise the main cowling will not fit into place properly.
Anyway, I'm currently messing about with the layout of the cockpit parts. As the Hasegawa kit for the other GB build is fairly inaccurate in this area, and those parts which are correct are a bit poor, I want to see what I can scratch-build for this build, and what can be donated to the Hasegawa kit. I'm playing about with some thin anodised aluminium printing plates at the moment, seeing if it's possible to fabricate the perforated shield over the oxygen regulator. If so, then I'll make a regulator and associated valves and hose, and donate this part, and probably the throttle etc.
The instrument panel for this kit is also receiving some planning attention,and I should have some pics of the progress, if any, in a day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back