**** DONE: Bf109F-2/U 'Special' - Adolf Galland - Aircraft of the Aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Bf109F-2/U 'Special' flown by Adolf Galland Aces GB

User Name : Wayne Little
Category : Non Competing Judge
Entry : Adolf Galland's Messerschmitt Bf109F-2/U or maybe F-6/U ? – Special Cannon Armed Version
Kit : Hasegawa 1/32

This recently released 'Special Version' represents one of a series of modified versions of the Bf109F-2 as flown by Adolf Galland. Various sources are identifying this aircraft as W.Nr.6750, in one photo the Werk Nummer can clearly be seen, and close examination shows it to be either 6750 or 5750, both Werk Nummers are included on the decal sheet.

This particular aircraft had MGFF 20 Cannons installed in the wings to increase the firepower, a further 2 or more aircraft were modified to include 2 x MG 131, 13mm Machine Guns replacing the MG17, 7.92mm machine guns in the upper cowl, these being identified by the addition of bulges on the cowling to accommodate the larger weapons.

These 'Specials' have been identified as F-2/U and F-6/U aircraft, the W.Nr.6750 which comes up frequently indicates this to be a modified Bf109F-2 manufactured by WNF.

Attachments

• Galland Bf1095478.jpg
    Galland Bf1095478.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,275
Last edited by a moderator:
That's because it shows the one with the 13mm mgs in the engine cowling.
Nice choice Wayne, looking forward to this one, another masterpiece on the way methinks.

The painting of the plane doesn't seem to show wing cannons.

Terry is right, both options are in the kit, as shown below, I have chosen the cannon version to do first, both aircraft are practically identical in markings, so when I come to do the option with the cowl bulges I will do the other option not represented in the kit which has a variation in Kommodore markings and victory markings on the rudder as shown below....

Picture source : Ebay

Attachments

• Galland Special-Wing Bukges_5947.JPG
    Galland Special-Wing Bukges_5947.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 621
  • Galland Special-Cowl Bulges_5945.JPG
    Galland Special-Cowl Bulges_5945.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 676
  • Galland Bf109F-2_6711_94 vics_a.jpg
    Galland Bf109F-2_6711_94 vics_a.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2,186
A small start, removing an ejection mark where a small portion would be visible.....

Attachments

• Port Cockpit side_3_6026.JPG
    Port Cockpit side_3_6026.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 469
  • Port Cockpit Side_1_6020.JPG
    Port Cockpit Side_1_6020.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 459
  • Port Cockpit Side_2_6023.JPG
    Port Cockpit Side_2_6023.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 453
Interesting subject! Gotta love those Friedrichs! Pity those Hasegawa Friendrich kits cost an arm and a leg and no somewhat accurate and a little more affordable alternative is available.

Just wondering, is there a reason why the increased armament wasn't picked up on in a more general way? Seems like a sensible move to me when one compares the weapons of say the 'Emil' with the standard armament of the 'Friedrich' or did the Germans prefer to maintain the increase in speed and manouvrability of the 'Friedrich' compared to the 'Emil' at this stage of the war. I'm guessing later on in the war increased armament became a necessity with increased Allied air activity in general and heavy bombing raids and such.

I'm really tempted to have crack at some 1/32 kit or another. Maybe the Hobbyboss Spit V 1/32 could be a nice start (despite it inaccuracies...the costs of it makes these acceptable)

Last edited:
Galland probaly wanted more firepower because US aircraft which were starting to appear were harder to bring down.

I imagine a 109F would have a tough time shooting down a b-17 with just a 20mm and 2 mgs, I recall reading that japanese ace sakai had a hard time shooting them down with 2 20mm and 2 mgs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back