Done : Bf110G-4, G9+AT, of III/NJG1, Gruppe Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the compliments chaps, and thanks for the pic Karl, that helps a lot.
Now, although the Stab machine appears to have the Schrage fit, it looks, from the last shot that rochie posted, that 'AT' doesn't have it! At least, I can't see evidence of it being fitted. However, this pic does confirm to me what i suspected; that the entire upper surfaces are mottled, which agrees with my original info from 1989.
So, if I go with 'AT', I have a choice, both of which are taking a chance, as there doesn't appear to be any HARD evidence regarding the Shrage Musik - do I leave them in, or chuck them out!? B*ll*cks!
Ah well, there's time yet, and maybe more evidence will come to light.
Meanwhile, on with the build, and thank you all for your help.

A little more confusion! I've just found another pic, in the Held/Nauroth book, showing the aircraft at the same time as in the pic posted by Karl. This is at a slightly different angle, where the reflection off the rear canopy isn't as prominent. The inner framework is visible, although it's still not possible to verify if SM is present. I don't think the weapons are installed, as there is no sign of the muzzles prortuding through the rear canopy. However, I noticed in both these pics, that at least part of the outer, port exhaust flame damper is missing, and these are present on the aircraft shown in the other pics.
Also, the 'line-up' pic is evidently taken when the aircraft shown were in service. But, the pic Karl posted, and the ever-so-slightly different on I found, suggest, MAYBE, that these pics were taken when the aircraft were in allied hands, possibly after capture, or flown-in to a specific location for surrender. The reason I think this is because:-
A) The aircraft are parked too close together, buched up, in the open. This would not be SOP in daylight, at that period of the war, with the ever-present threat of allied straffing. It suggested to me that they were flown in, and just parked where they stopped, in a loose group.
B.) Visible in one of the pics, in the foreground, is a rope 'barrier' - slightly unusual on an active airfield?
C.) The figure in the mid-ground does not appear to be dressed in German clothing/uniform, although I realise that's a rather weak observation.
D.) The missing exhaust damper (part), and the missing hatch cover on the second aircraft, MIGHT suggest that the aircraft have been inspected/damaged/looted?
It's interesting that the caption to the pic in the Held/Nauroth book states that the aircraft is from 9/NJG5; even though the halftone is small, and grainy, the codes G9+AT are visible under a glass.
So, did this aircraft carry SM, was it removed before surrender, or taken out for inspection after surrender?
It would appear that at least some aircraft of NJG1, at this period, used Schrage Musik, so I'll have to make a decision soon!
EDIT: crossing posts. Thanks Dan - I think I'll probably end up leaving them in, but you know what it's like when the 'accuracy bug' bites!!?

E.) If parked on an allied airfield after surrendering, the SM might have been removed before the picture was taken....

Just to add to the confusion! :lol:

Looking great old boy!

the line up photos is how they were found upon surrendering and then Allied forces started to park them in a typical haphazard fashion before piling them into a junk heap. Obviously the staffel did not have time or cared whether they a/c were blown to bits or not.

yes the SM could of been removed but seems odd the twin Mg 81's were not. before being scrapped all ammo first and then weapons would of been removed and stripped and junked, props=spinner would of been also removed for no flights for those that wanted a quick run over the field ..........

a curious thing about 9./NJG 1, is that this staffel also flew several Ju 88G-6's as well. have fotos of a couple after surrender from the staffel with code on two A/C as : G9+BT and G9+FT at Fritzlar

Hmmm...... Interesting chunk of info there Erich....
yes the SM could of been removed but seems odd the twin Mg 81's were not.
Very odd.... I would say that the aircraft in that pic was not equipped with SM....

Terry, if there is ZERO ref material that shows or describes the SM in place for the specific profile ur doin, I would either remove them orchange profiles and go with the Stab machine that we know had SM installed........

Thanks Erich. I too thought about the MG81 still being present, and the nose-mounted weapons. The line-up photograph I have, in the Russian book, doesn't mention, in the caption, that the aircraft are in allied hands, although of course that doesn't count for much; we all know that captions can be wrong! I must admit though, that there are personnel in the shot I have, who look as if they could be boarding, and it does look as if the pic was taken on an active Luftwaffe field.....
If all else fails, I think I'll leave the SM weapons in place - I can always remove them at the last moment, or even finish the model as the Stab machine, although the latter has a soft splinter on wings and tailplane, and I wanted to do the mottle. Oh well, still time to confuse matters even more!
Thanks again for your help Erich, and to the others guys also.

Just my 2 cents......

If the pic is as Erich says, taken after hostilities then I would assume like Jan that the guns were removed.

Do I detect a slight bump/hump along the spine past the cockpit? Its hard to see but I think it is there. Might have been the SM.

The cannons were actually in the rear cockpit Chris, with the muzzles just protruding through the top of the rear panel, forward of the rear-mounted MG81 Zwilling, just at the start of the downward curve, to the rear, of the canopy panel. They are normally clearly visible through the canopy, which is the problem here....they don't appear to be present!
Grrr! B*ll*cks, b*lls etc etc !!!

For some reason I always thought they protruded from the fuselage back of the cockpit. my bad.

At least I know now where to put my 'Blue 1"! :)

Glad to know you've got something sorted Chris! You've had much contradictory info on your build.
There's a diagram of the Schrage Musik in the '110, and a pic of the rear cockpit of the model, earlier in this thread. The JU88 had these weapons in the rear fuselage, behind the cockpit, which is probably what you got confused with.

So, weapons and colour issues aside, I've done some more, and the basis of the model is now well advanced.
Those nasty gaps in the lower centre section and at the forward starboard wing root have been sorted. The gaps were first given a small bead of Superglue and, when this had set, some stretched sprue was laid in, and secured with liquid cement. The remaining small joints were then filled with a mix of talcum powder and varnish. This is shown, partly sanded and polished, in PICS 1 and 2.
PICS 3 and 4 show the nose in place, with the shell deflector, and the supercharger intake on the starboard engine cowling. The radiators are in place, and, just visible on the underside of the rear fuselage, are the holes I drilled, ready for the beam antenna mounts. These were originally moulded onto the fuselage, although there is no mention of the antenna in the instructions. Of course, whilst sanding the fuselage joint and re-scribing the panel lines, they got knocked off! Only a small job to scratch-build the lot though.
The next step was to assemble and fit the tailplane and fins, and I had a bit of a surprise, when I found the Revell-Monogram logo etc, moulded onto the OUTSIDE of the lower tailplane half! What, for a relatively recently produced kit(1997)?!! This was easily removed with the edge of a scalpel blade, and quickly polished smooth, as shown in :-
PICS 5 and 6.
With the empennage in place, and the joints filled, again with the talc/varnish mix, any small gaps around the wing roots and engines were given a similar treatment, as shown in :-
PICS 7 and 8.
The final two pics show the model assembled as far as can be done for now. After a little more sanding and polishing, and a general clean-up, it will be time to mask, and apply a thin coat of primer, ready for the overall base coat of RLM 76.
It's now starting to look like a '110 nightfighter, with that shark-like nose and twin cannon muzzles, and, although I know the paint scheme is going to be tricky to apply, I'm looking forward to making a start. Hopefully, I should soon be taking delivery of a new, double-action, gravity fed, fine-line airbrush, so there should be no excuses for making a b*lls up!
Heck, what have I said?!!!

Attachments

• 110 Build 083.jpg
    110 Build 083.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 110 Build 084.jpg
    110 Build 084.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 110 Build 087.jpg
    110 Build 087.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 110 Build 085.jpg
    110 Build 085.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 110 Build 081.jpg
    110 Build 081.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 110 Build 082.jpg
    110 Build 082.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 110 Build 090.jpg
    110 Build 090.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 110 Build 095.jpg
    110 Build 095.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 110 Build 091.jpg
    110 Build 091.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 110 Build 093.jpg
    110 Build 093.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 76
Thanks very much chaps, much appreciated as always. I'm rather pleased that the stretched sprue filler worked so well - it's as if it was a taylor made part.
Just been informed that the new airbrush should arrive tomorrow (Thursday), with any luck! Yippee! Been promising myself a new one for ages.
If anyone is looking for a decent, fine-line, double action brush,I can reccommend the service at the place I contacted. Just out of interest, I asked about World-wide shipping, and they do, and have done, for donkeys years. An example they quoted for shipping costs, Air Mail, was Canada and Australia, approximately £5 to £7 !! The company are also engineers, and supply the 'trade' (artists, custom-paint shops, graphics etc etc) and the 'brush I'm getting is one from their own range, although they also supply all the top brands. Cost, including braided hose and shipping? £31.35!!!
OK, I don't know how it will perform yet, but it's got to be better than my old ones, especially at that price! Oh, and yes, it IS all-metal construction.
I'll soon find out what it's like, and let you all know.
Thanks again chaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back