**** DONE: Revell P-61A 1/48 scale, Nocturnal Nemesis, Night Fighter GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Bill:wave:

It is looking just awesome, can't wait for more piccies!!!

Keep em' coming and keep up the good work!!

Jerry

Ok... Here are some of what I've been able to do this weekend in between the honey do lists. First I added the control panel and yoke along with a bracket behind the pilot's seat. A back seat cushion was added that I made from a slice of rubber. I have seen this cushion in too many photos to believe it's just a fluke so I added it. Then I added seat belts to all three seats. I was quite surprised and happy with the way they turned out. I'll weather all this stuff later just before I close up the fuselage. I set the seats in their respective spots just to see how they would look and to see if there would be any problems when I dry fit everything. All the usual gaps were in place that I expected. The wing roots and along the wings where the nacelles attach. I know that some folks wanted to see how the two nacelles looked after I did some part swapping so I included a side by side picture of those.

Finally I have a big question I'm trying to solve. This has to do with the door mechanism. I've been in contact with a museum to find out how it actually worked and they said they would get back with me but I must not show any pictures that they send me. Sorry guys. I will, however, incorporate them into this model. The last picture I pulled off the web to show my predicament.

This door is pretty interesting. From other photos I've seen there is some kind of push rod affair just behind and to the right, as you face the front of the plane, of the pilot's seat. There is also a push rod that is stepped on in order to raise the lower part of the ladder on the left side as you face the front of the plane. This last push rod ties in with the half gear that is seen on the lower left of this door at the hinge of the ladder. As I understand it, this rod, when stepped on, pushes on the gear and swings the lower part of the ladder up at which point someone pulls it the rest of the way up. I'm thinking then that there are two rods and the one that I see to the right of the pilots seat is a release mechanism for the door. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it as I await more information from the museum.

:)

Attachments

• P61A 017.jpg
    P61A 017.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 128
  • P61A 018.jpg
    P61A 018.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 115
  • P61A 020.jpg
    P61A 020.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 124
  • P61A 021.jpg
    P61A 021.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 129
  • P61A 026.jpg
    P61A 026.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 121
  • P61A 025.jpg
    P61A 025.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 124
  • P61A 024.jpg
    P61A 024.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 122
  • P61A 023.jpg
    P61A 023.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 119
  • P61A 022.jpg
    P61A 022.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 119
  • P61A 028.jpg
    P61A 028.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 130
  • P61A 027.jpg
    P61A 027.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 124
  • P61A 029.jpg
    P61A 029.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Attachments

• P 61 bombing up (Large).jpg
    P 61 bombing up (Large).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 181
  • P 61 Northrop Blackwidow (Large).jpg
    P 61 Northrop Blackwidow (Large).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 185
  • P 61 Northrop Blackwidow at night (Large).jpg
    P 61 Northrop Blackwidow at night (Large).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 187
Ok... here are some of the details I've been able to find around the web. That push rod behind the pilot seat may operate that hook latch seen in pictures two and three. In picture one you can see the half cog and just a bare glimpse of the push rod that causes the lower part of the ladder to swing up.

Attachments

• P-61C_38_Nose_Gear_well.jpg
    P-61C_38_Nose_Gear_well.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Wheelwell1.jpg
    Wheelwell1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 173
  • P-61C_40_Nose_Gear_Well.jpg
    P-61C_40_Nose_Gear_Well.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 163
  • P-61C_39_Nose_Gear_Well.jpg
    P-61C_39_Nose_Gear_Well.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 158
  • P61 ladder details.JPG
    P61 ladder details.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Just an update... I recieved an answer from Russ Stine on how the ladder works and have identified what I was seeing in the picture. Here is what he sent to me.

"Regarding the entrance ladder.

A linear gear is attached to the rod. A circular gear is attached to the lower folding portion of the ladder. When in the aircraft, pushing on the knob of the rod retracts the lower half of the ladder into spring clips which keeps it folded.

The ladder assembly is then raided manually by two handles, one at the top and one located midway in the folded assembly. The up-lock is a simple cam affair which turns 90 degrees. Now, there is a spring loaded rod/handle assembly on the right side of the pilot's seat which, I think, you are referring to in your email. This has nothing to do with the ladder. It is used to fold down the pilot's seat back so the pilot can exit in flight, otherwise he cannot get over the seat back with the top hatch closed.

The bathtub (space for the retracted nose wheel) is of course attached to the ladder assembly. This whole thing can be jettisoned prior to crew bail out.

Russ"

In that first picture above, the push rod with the yellow top is a seat release. The green bowed handle is one of the handles for pulling it closed. The picture of the tub I posted earlier in post# 103, the last photo, shows the other handle and on the bottom left corner of that other picture, you can see the rod he's refering to as the one that causes the ladder to fold up when stepped on. :)

As I was explaining to someone else, the area just behind the pilot's seat and just before the gunner's seat has been a black hole. There are just not any photos easily found for this area. With this information I just received, I now know exactly what it looks like and how if functions. Now my plane will be more accurate. :) I've already started to scratch build this area so that other folks will see what it's suppose to look like. Putting light onto a black hole so to speak. :) Oh and here is a little picture that may also help.

Attachments

• pilotseat.JPG
    pilotseat.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back