**** DONE: Spitfire Mk.I P9366 QV-K, OC No 19 Sqn BoB Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's tough luck Jason. And ironically, Tamiya's clear tree has two windscreens, 3 sliding canopies, and only the one rear glazing. I checked my ICM Spit VIII and IX and I they do have extra rear canopy pieces but the shape is surprisingly different. More pointy, less rounded so it wouldn't be a good fit I'm afraid. You're welcome to one but it seems that making your own is the best way to go.

There are threads elsewhere on this site that get into details but the fix is probably easier than you think. Wojtek (Wurger) heat molded a seat from plastic card. You can do the same with thin, clear plastic card that you should be able to get easily. You could simply glue your busted pieces back together and use them as a form (or make a wooden one), and heat the clear plastic enough so that it drapes over the top to form the shape. A hair dryer might suffice for this. I've never tried it but it looks very straight forward. Also cheaper than getting a pre-made Vacform piece.

Good luck. I'm sure you can make yourself a pice that will complement the high quality of the rest of your build. Well done!

I'll probably try to call Tamiya Monday and see if I can get a new sprue sent to me. If that doesn't work I'll probably order the Falcon Spitfire canopy set. I've read up on them today and they get excellent reviews.

I've got a question about the yellow spinner. The instructions for the yellow on the tips of the blades call for yellow with a small amount of orange added to it. Do you think it would be ok to paint the spinner the same color or would it be something different?

Don't know the answer to that one Jason. I didn't see the mixing with orange bit and will probably make my tips plain old yellow.

Don't know the answer to that one Jason. I didn't see the mixing with orange bit and will probably make my tips plain old yellow.

If you look at step 10 on page 6 of the instruction sheet it shows a 10-1 ratio. I'll probably just paint them plain yellow.

I also dug around my stash and found a Tamiya Mk. Vb that has the exact same part for the canopy. I'll be fine until I go to build it and totally forget about stealing that piece.

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn't spray over the pe with anything. I just take some Micro Krystal Klear and put a drop in each dial so that it's filled above the ring creating a convex meniscus. It shrinks a bit when dry and usually flattens out pretty well.

So my airbrush took a dive on me and I have to buy a new one. It will be a week before I can do that so all I have is the boring stuff that's not worth posting. Thanks everyone for the comments and following along.

I got my Badger Renegade last week but still have not played with it and fixed and ordered parts for the Cresendo it's working great now.How was that PE on the flaps:)?? I have been palying with a different type and ordered some stuff called Gator glue suppose to be good for it I will find out next week when time off occurs.Everything is looking good just need some paint to make it eye candy.Cheers Kevin

Polystyrene and BlueTak, staple building equipment, coming along nicely Jayl, sad about the rear canopy though hope your able to get it sorted

What a great idea! Plant the parts, and they grow into a Spitfire!!
Shame about the rear glazing. I've got a couple of spares, but they might have the same fit problem as described. probably best with the Squadron/Falcon vac canopy, or mould one.

I got my Badger Renegade last week but still have not played with it and fixed and ordered parts for the Cresendo it's working great now.How was that PE on the flaps:)?? I have been palying with a different type and ordered some stuff called Gator glue suppose to be good for it I will find out next week when time off occurs.Everything is looking good just need some paint to make it eye candy.Cheers Kevin

The flaps were a pain to do. :lol: There are 40 little pieces that have to be removed, filed and glued in place. I broke it up and only did one per sitting. Even though spitfires hardly ever were shown with their flaps down when on the ground I think the extra detail will be worth it.

let me have a look at my spares Jayl, will be tomorow afternoon and i'll see what the bits i've got look like.
cant promise anything but i'll check the leftovers from the italeri kits i built mate

Thanks for the offer rochie but I found a Tamiya Mk. V in my stash that I was able to steal the part out of.

Looking all set for a good spray Jason and so please you were able to sort the canopy out, also like your use of a sponge for masking the door area of the cockpit.

It's been a week now Jason :-k what you been do'in bucko??:lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back