**** DONE: Spitfire Mk.I P9366 QV-K, OC No 19 Sqn BoB Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Make sure you feed the carpet monster first, before you start the fiddly bits!:D:D:D

It seems it only has an appetite for needed pe though. :lol:

Btw, can anyone tell be what color the leather on the interior should be? The Tamiya instructions call for black but I've seen a lot that are a reddish brown.

Also should the pilot access door have a crowbar or not? Most of the pics I've seen don't show one.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the seat should be reddish brown. The crowbar should be there, but I read somewhere that it should be silver instead of red, which was a post war thing.

I'm pretty sure the seat should be reddish brown. The crowbar should be there, but I read somewhere that it should be silver instead of red, which was a post war thing.

Damn, I went ahead and just painted them black. Now to decide if I want to redo it or just leave it as is. I remember reading the same thing about the crowbar but I thought it was during the war just at a later date. Thanks for the reply. I have the cockpit and gun bays finished up and will post pics tomorrow.

I might be a bit late, but here's the info for the seat and crow bar.
The seat was made from a 'plastic' type of papier mache, and was a rediish brown colour. The back rest cushion was a very dark brown, almost black.
The crow bar wasn't fitted as standard until around early to mid 1941, and was normally either left in natural metal (dull metallic grey) or painted the same colour as the door. They weren't painted red until post war, when other emergency / rescue equipment received the same treatment.

So I've got most of the cockpit done except for the seat, there had to be some changes made to that. :mad: The instrument panel still has a little fogginess to the clear over the gauges but that will clear up in a couple of days. I'm not really too happy with the Eduard pe. It's seems like they could have added some more pieces to help with the stuff Tamiya left out. You'll only really see the panel and seat belts once it's closed up so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Ok then on to the pics.

Looking great there Jay. Is the last item one of the gun bays? If it's not too late, the compass barrel was normally a mid grey colour, and I notice the undercarriage selector is still the MkV version, instead of the hand pump of the Mk1 and MkII.
Good work though, and you're right about the small detail parts - at least 50% of it can't be seen.

Looking great there Jay. Is the last item one of the gun bays? If it's not too late, the compass barrel was normally a mid grey colour, and I notice the undercarriage selector is still the MkV version, instead of the hand pump of the Mk1 and MkII.
Good work though, and you're right about the small detail parts - at least 50% of it can't be seen.

Yeah, that's one of the gun bays. It's not too late to repaint the compass so I'll go ahead and do that. I found some pics of the hand pump and will be scratch building one to replace the MkV type.

If you have a look in Glenn's thread (T Bolt) you'll find a drawing I posted showing the small undercart selector lever, and the hand pump lever, which might help.

Thanks guys. So I made this tonight. I think it's close enough that it will look good once the cockpit's closed up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back