**** DONE: Spitfire Mk. Vb Trop. BS231 “D” of No 452 Sqn defending Darwin .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User name: N4521U
Name: Bill
Category: 2, Intermediate
Kit: Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb Tropical
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: True Details resin wheels, replacement Decals. Some scratch building. Moulding and casting of some control surfaces. Scratch built landing and clearance lights. Decals as required.
Inspiration: I've been wanting to build something from one of Robert Taylor's prints, especially this one depicting Spitfires over Darwin, I do have this print in my collection. By chance I have found much information regarding the lead "D" plane, S/L Raymond "Throttle" Thorold-Smith. Below are two of these documents regarding the lead plane in the print, and her pilot.

Attachments

• 1 Spits over Darwin.jpg
    1 Spits over Darwin.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 1 T-S fact-sheet.pdf
    669.1 KB · Views: 380
  • 1 T-S timeline.pdf
    22.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 1a box.jpg
    1a box.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 1b instructions.jpg
    1b instructions.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 380
  • 1e decals.jpg
    1e decals.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 361
  • 1d sprue.jpg
    1d sprue.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 361
  • 1c sprue.jpg
    1c sprue.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited by a moderator:
A great choice Bill and some great info already.

I found a profile of BS231 in the July 2009 edition of Model Aircraft Monthly. Here it is below. By the way this profile and the Morgan and Shacklady book 'Spitfire the History' mark BS231 as a Vc not a Vb.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• BS231.jpg
    BS231.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 483
  • nei-af03.jpg
    nei-af03.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Nice one Bill, and yes, she was a MkVc. This means the cannon blisters were almost certainly the broad, 'flat' type. If you don't have them/can't get them, I might have some spare from one of my ICM MkIX /MkVIII kits.

I had my suspicions about the Mk.......
I will have to investigate and see what corrections I will have to make.

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

My first step is to make molds of all the control surfaces. Did this the day the forum went dark. Will have to get some casting resin as my supply has gone sour and will do this Wed. Did bot planes, Typhoon and Mk.Vb trop. Will have to post on both.

Attachments

• IMG_2975.JPG
    IMG_2975.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 239
Interesting. I need to follow this. Never made casts before. Do you need to put some kind of release agent on the parts?

Nope. The mold is the two part pink and white stuff. Mixed 50/50 and poured right away. Mold is ready in bout half an hour. I will be getting some more casting material today and give the parts a shot. The most difficult part is suspending the parts over the box, and making the box itself. There are some vids in youtube showing the process. I had done this for my Merlin's Magic P-51, posted as well. Easy peasy.

Did some casting from my molds today, after DR visit. Some parts worked, others did not. Crap left of the mold shown didn't go well, and have recast the tail feathers of the Spittie. will have to remold the aelarons of the Typhoon. Sometimes it doesn't go according to plan 100 per cent. But I'll gettum.

Attachments

• 3 casts.jpg
    3 casts.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back