Fw 190D-9 "Red1" of JV44 Lt. Heino Sachsenberg....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't think your airbrush is too much different than mine, so I think it is more to do with mastering the airbrush to produce the finer work....?

I seem to recall when you first got your airbrush that you posted a pic of some 'playing around' spraying on something? a piece of card or such?
Do you remember? do you still have or can you locate this pic?

Give me half an hour or so and I will post a couple of pics of the front end of my airbrush for comparison to yours.....then we can move forward further...

Here ya go.

Even though the components are different, they still do the same job.

The main nozzle hole about 1 mm while the secondary paint nozzle is about .4to .5mm.

I think yours is not much different?...over to you.

Attachments

• Nozzle Assy_0781.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Nozzle_0784.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Nozzle_0786.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 68
Wayne are your pieces plastic and not metal except for spring/pin assembly ?

Dan I would think you could get a replacement cover to make a better separation of the mottle/overall patter to make the camo cleaner ?

Same concept, different manufacture... It seems that Im gonna have to take my brush up to the hobby stiore and see if there are any tips that will fit, cause the threads on my pieces are very small and minute compared to urs Wayne.... Infact, ive never seen tips in the aftermarket trade that look like mine.....

I need a new frickin airbrush....

this might be outta league but have you guys tried to find out what graphic artists use/sign painters as well........ sure it might not be what you are looking for but the incredible details found on much of the graphic scene anyone knows they can get down and dirty with minute details barely discernable to the naked eye...........some wild stuff that might be used in this case and hopeful not expending the pocket book in the process for continuation of the JV 44 Würger ?

And that cardboard is long gone.... I do alot of practicing before hitting the model... Its getting the technique down.... Some times it works nice and I get the result Im lookin for, sometimes, blllllaaaaahhhhhh..........

Even though your nozzle components are bent and battered, you are saying that your application is on and off, that is it works and then it doesn't....
either the 'bent and battered' is having an effect on air or paint flow or simply my friend you are still having a little trouble with mastering the technique of the dual action to get consistent results, this seems a strong possibility?
I make this statement as you are confident that your paint mix is good from previous messages, and that the airbrush DOES work right and then has hick-ups during the application process.
However maybe a change in the nozzle tip size is another distinct possibility worth trying....look into it!
.....or you may choose to upgrade to another airbrush!? Will the 'Boss' permit this???
Now if you want to stop for a while you could always send me your airbrush and I will try it and give you the low down

I think the trick with my brush is mastering the flow between air and paint.... I pretty much got the basics down, but cannot make small detailed painting happen as the paint puddles up on me.....

My mixture is good and measured everytime.... Maybe Xmas time I can get a new Paschal or something, with different tips to control my spray...

fingers crossed man!

You've mentioned puddling a couple of times now.......?

This should only occur if you are allowing too much paint an/or air and in combination with distance...

if you hold distance or get too close your puddling will occur.

Light on the air first, then light on the paint you must judge the distance and finger trigger combination, move the airbrush in and out quickly once you get paint flow to the model.

I usually spray onto the side of my hand below the thumb when I'm having an issue getting the spray right to mottle.
Sometimes where the solid paint application goes I apply the mottle effect here first then apply some mottling a bit at a time during the painting, in this way you can judge the application and if you get the light spray right you do a bit of the mottling, if things change pull the brush away and repeat the process. Fix up the primary painting area later.

Now here is something else to try on some card, the above process repeated but moving in and out in a stabbing sort of way for want of a better word??
In and out in a fluent motion will create a mottle effect..... and moving across the card to reflect going along the fuselage or tail area.

I don't always get it right myself you know and do go back over the mottle and recover it and do it again if I'm not satisfied.

G'day guys. I very new here to the forum and have been reading this thread to get idea's for my next project a 1/24 Bf-109G.
Great model Les I've been enjoying the build and the extra tid bits of information are great.
If you are going to buy a new airbrush look seriously at the Aztec like Wayne is using. I bought one about 4 years ago and it took me from the amateurs to the professionals overnight. I sell the basic kits with two nozzles for about $160 here in OZ so in the States they 'should be' cheaper. I find the Aztec's great because they have so many specialized nozzles from a fine line, General purpose, Camouflage right through to the high flow acrylic nozzle. Plus if you damage a nozzle they are cheap to buy and a whole nozzle will fit into a paint jar full of thinners to give them a deep clean. YES I'm in love with my Aztec . Almost forgot the same body can use gravity feed pots from .25cc to 12cc or suction jars.

The best thing I have found with the Aztec airbrush is that you can set the needle depth on the go with the knurled roller on the spine. I set mine so that when I press down normally I get no paint but when I press down firmly I get just a wisp of paint out of the nozzle. I use this wisp to build up mottles as it takes a few seconds before you can actually see the paint over the base coat. Setting up this way also means that as soon as I pull back on the trigger I get paint so I don't have a dead spot on the paint trigger and I know exactly when the paint will appear.
Mottling is by far the hardest thing I have done with an airbrush. I had several attempts on my last 109E before I was happy.
One last thing, can we please have some more pictures....pretty please.

I think I got me a problem....
As I was working on my model today, I was touching up the RLM82... I mixed up some RLM83 and I noticed the color seemed wrong...

I went and looked at some pics, and thats when it dawned on me....

I think somehow my colors are reversed... The light green, which is supposed to be RLM 82 is darker than the one I have for RLM 83... All the reference pics I have show it as it should, the darker color on the cowl.... Mine would be the opposite....

Here are some pics to help u judge for urselves.... The writing on the paint jars are what I did to keep it identifiable as the writing wears off...

WTF is goin on???? Im not imagining this am I???

Attachments

• ~Paint 004.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 66
  • ~Paint 008.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 65
  • ~Paint 010.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 62
  • ~Paint 011.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 67
  • ~Paint 012.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 67
Status