GB#27 THOUGHTS..... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't forget chaps, Airfix dropped a minor clanger with the kit, by (presumably) not asking questions at the RAF Museum, who's example their otherwise excellent kit is based on. The 'E-4' style canopy included in the kit is modelled from the Museum's real aircraft - which had a later 'G' type canopy fitted (possibly from a Buchon) during restoration, as the original had been lost.
This means that the opening section in the kit parts has the central frame moulded in place !

Think your prospecting for a bit of a borderline case again Don. The criteria for the GB is:

"Aug 1st- Sunday Dec 6th 2015- GB 27-Defense of Britain and the Atlantic WWII Allied or Axis.
Defense of Britain from the phony war to the 'D' Day landings in 1944 including Invasion Stripes coupled with the Atlantic War Mid 1940-1943. Opens the door for a host of aircraft, fighters, bombers, dive bombers, ground attack, land based or carrier based as well as Coastal Command aircraft either in search and rescue, ship launched, coastal or convoy defence and float planes."

My understanding of the "Neutrality Patrols" was more for the benefit of protecting the US Atlantic coastline from warring nations, though I do understand that the Royal Navy was treated with favour.

Overload with grafting at work now, thanks to the Edinburgh Festival, but I'm ever so slightly tempted to join in, whenever the work situation calms down a bit...if so, it'll be with yet another Hurricane...

So far the candidates are:
BD834 N.F. Mk. IIC, No. 247 Sqn., Exeter; night anti shipping sweeps, ZY-V.
BD948 N.F. Mk. IIC, No. 3 Sqn., Hunsdon; night interception operations, QO-X.
BE150 N.F. Mk. IIC, No. 1 Sqn., Tangmere; night intruder operations, JX-F.

Time will tell, felt under the weather this weekend...even struggled to make a cuppa! :lol:

Last edited:
.....a sister to QO-X, QO-Y...BD867.

Hurricane_IIC_3_Sqn_RAF_in_flight_c1942.jpg

Guys, the first subject of this GB is 'Defence of Britain' from the Phoney war to D-day... does this include the heavy bombers? They were used offensively, not defensively.

I wouldn't think so Evan, although light - medium bombers of the BoB period could possibly be classed as defending, when used against the build-up of the German invasion fleet in the Channel ports or off-shore.

Good point.
I think we need clarification on the time-period of this GB. I read "Defence of Britain / Atlantic" as actions in the immediate defence of the Briish Isles and the Atlantic and Western Approaches, with the 'Atlantic' portion including, for example, defence of shipping heading for Britain with cargoes on which the country depends.
Although I can see, to an extent, that the inclusion of "up to D-Day, including D-Day stripes" could involve defensive actions against British (and Allied) interests, and certainly against the V1's launched against Britain, where both ADGB and seconded 2 TAF units were involved in air defence from UK bases, as well as fighter-bomber, medium bomber, and heavy bomber strikes against the launch sites, it's still a little vague. Note, of course, that the first V1 fell on UK soil on 13th June, two weeks after D-Day, so that would make anti-Diver ops ineligible for the GB under its present title, and "up to D-Day" would exclude any operations, either over the UK or on the Continent, after June 6th.

Yep, title and description are a little unclear to me. I thought 'Defence of Britain' - ok...but if it includes D-day and invasion bands, that's an attack, not a defence. That's why I asked if we're letting all offensive weapons in then, ie. the heavy bombers aswell.

The title also throws all the German entries into question... they definitely weren't defending Britain :) I think we definitely need to clarify this one a bit better.

(Another point to clarify... British mainland, or British Empire... then you've got Singapore and everywhere else to consider too!)

Nah, it was air-launched from a He111, and probably just fell short. In a straight line drawn of it's flight-path towards Manchester, it fell only around 2 to 3 miles from Avro's Woodford plant, a much more important target. Apparently, the crater is still there, somewhere deep in the trees.

I suggest we delete the "up to D-Day" statement and allow aircraft used for operations to defend the British Isles. Members should defend their choice and explain how their selected model represents a defender where not obvious. Another example of defensive operations after D-Day are those aircraft used against Luftwaffe intruder operations which continued on a limited basis even into 1945.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back