Hs 123 A-1, "Red T"10./Lg 2; Greece April, 1941 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Axe, chainsaw? Nah, PE4 that'll really do the job!
Bl**dy shame about the Future, and at the last minute too! I normally leave it at least 24 hours before applying decals, and even then, I sometimes experience a slight 'stickiness' when Micro Sol is used. I only just found a local supplier of Vallejo clear acrylic varnish, which I'll now use for decalling purposes I think.
You should find the damage goes when the next coat of future is applied, with most of it seeming to disappear instantly. This will then re-appear, but fade away as the new coat dries, probably after about an hour.
Put the models in the GB anyway, and at least you'll get the 'badge', although, of course, as unfinished, they can't gain a placing.
It's not a great way to pass on info, but at least we all now know to let Future dry fully, at least 24 hours per coat, before decalling.

Thanks Terry. Okay, consider both models still in the Group build for purposes of the badge, but not available for placing.

For future reference, the haze did not disappear on it's own after four hours. So I did a quick experiment on a small spot and a second application DOES get rid of the hazing. So it was likely a matter of not letting the Future fully cure. As it stands, I'm going to repair the damage on this build and let the Hs 126 dry for a LONG while, to make sure it is fully dry, before I apply the decals.

Bad luck Dwight. I t was looking so nice, too.

Thanks Andy. I'll get it fixed up in within a week or ten days and post the finished pics. Next time I am going to do a better job of planning ahead.

I appreciate all the support guys. It sucks when things go bad but you guys have been great.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this mate.They were looking so good for a fine finish

its a little stupid how frustrated models can make you

Good luck with it , hope you can pull it off alright

Something similar when my A's just disintegrated for my P-40 .... except it was YOU BETTER HIDE EVERY HAMMER IN THE HOUSE BECAUSE I'M PISSED OFF.

lol

I've managed to repair the hazing caused by the Future - Micro-Sol reaction.

I ended up stripping off all of the previous Future coat on the upper wing using windex. I dipped a couple of cotton swabs into Windex and then slowly ran it across the upper wing to remove the future. I was very careful to minimize the areas where the windex was applied so it wouldn't get on the fuselage or the lower portion of the upper wing. I also kept an eye on the swab to see how much of the underlying paint the windex was pulling off.

It turns out that despite being very careful, the windex did remove a bit more of the underlying RLM 70 than I wanted. So a repaint of the upper wing was necessary. After respraying the RLM 70 on the upper wing. I let it dry for a week, and then reapplied the Future (today) as well as giving the rest of the plane a light second coat.

Here's where it is now (see the pic below) with the final gloss coat of future applied. The future coat still needs to cure for at least 48 hours before I tackle the decals. I've scrounged a set of swastikas from another aftermarket kit and will probably end up using fuselage crosses and upper wing crosses from the same after market set.

A special thank you to Dirk, who was kind enough to send me a couple of other decals that I needed, including a spare infantry support badge from his Hs 129 kit. I now have almost all the decals that I need to finish the markings on this bird. The only other ones that i might need are the red "T"s. I have one set but I'm a bit leary of whether they will work or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0322v2.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 102
Nice save Dwight!

Thanks Harrison and VB.

If there was a silver lining in all this, it was that the hazing occurred on THIS plane and NOT on the Hs 126. The hazing did go away for the MOST part with a second application of future but NOT entirely and there was a NOTICEABLE difference where the hazing had occurred even after the second application of future. Hence the repainting was necessary. If that had happened on the 126 the entire paint and camo job on the upper wing would have had to be redone - *shudders* at least with the 123 it was a simple and straightforward repaint.

Looking forward to seeing her done!

No more so than I am, trust me on that one Andy.

Not to fear guys, this one WILL get done ... a bit late for judging perhaps but finished nonetheless.

Since the deadline is shot, I'm taking extra time to make sure all of the Future coats and repaints are thoroughly cured.

Users who are viewing this thread