Hs 123 A-1, "Red T"10./Lg 2; Greece April, 1941 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Karl, Dirk and Harrison. :)

Dirk, I might have an extra Hs 123 A from Airifix in 1:72 scale. I know I bought at least two Airfix kits and probably a third, plus the Avis Hs 123 B-1. Let me check. After I finish this one, I was going to do one of other Arifix kits in Spanish Civil War markings and the Avis B-1 in an Eastern Front scheme (Blue 0).

Great work Dwight. Only one slight improvement I could see - the seam line on the spats behind the tires is quite visible. A little putty and sanding would do the trick. Otherwise, a lovely piece of work!

Question - what does the red band on 2 of the bombs signify?

Great work Dwight. Only one slight improvement I could see - the seam line on the spats behind the tires is quite visible. A little putty and sanding would do the trick. Otherwise, a lovely piece of work!

Question - what does the red band on 2 of the bombs signify?

Thanks Andy. Wayne and DB. :)

Andy, I noticed that in the pics. I made sure I got the seams at the front and back of the spats but missed the bottoms. Thankfully they're not visible when the plane is right side up so.

The red band signifies a 50 kg Incendiary bomb. Some of the Incendiaries also had the rear tail cone painted red as well which I am doing for another Hs 123. The yellow stripes on the rear tail cone for the two outer bombs are for general purpose 50 kg (SC 50) bombs.

Getting closer. Just need to add the red T's and one of the upper wing crosses. Sorry for pic being a bit out of focus - I took it in a hurry.

Attachments

• IMG_0444v2.JPG
    IMG_0444v2.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 66
The red band signifies a 50 kg Incendiary bomb. Some of the Incendiaries also had the rear tail cone painted red as well which I am doing for another Hs 123. The yellow stripes on the rear tail cone for the two outer bombs are for general purpose 50 kg (SC 50) bombs.

Hey Dwight, great info. Do you have a reference document/site for this stuff you can share?

Great finish there Dwight 8)

Well done mate

Thanks Daniel. :)

Another couple of shots with the complete set of fuselage markings on. The Red T's came from a set of ESCI decals that I managed to find. Wasn't sure that they were going to settle down but they behaved just fine.

Only the port side upper wing cross remains to be added. That is waiting a bit of gloss coat (again) before the cross goes down. For some reason the gloss coat on the upper wing is STILL reacting with the decal setting solution. It CAN'T be the drying time as that coat has been for at least 10 days. I had to do a surgical respray around the bottom of the starboard wing cross to repair a minor bit of haze that resulted when that cross went on as well on the port side which was MUCH worse when I tried adding that cross initially.

Anyway, here are the pics (sorry about the focus on the second pic) : I wish I could take pics worth a damn - these just don't do it justice imo.

Attachments

• IMG_0446v2.JPG
    IMG_0446v2.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0449v2.JPG
    IMG_0449v2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back