Italeri 1/72 scale JU-52 Minesweeper from Minensuch-Gruppe; France 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i agree erich..as i said i have seen pictures also without white markings but also with. so it was war and they did what they did but still..its a darn nice detail and makes the models look even better
but the props was green and not black on military Ju 52`s i guess we agree 100% on that

and as Olaf Trapp and Willy Schadock told me ( pilots and crew of Ju 52 from WW2 )..it was for the pilot to see if the engines was set on equal rpm and running synchronized. so it had a meaning and since it had such a importand meaning one also should assume that it was something that a lot would apply to the Ju 52 during painting and as you see..from norway to the eastern front it was used ..i post two pics..one from Norway 1940 and one from the eastern front ) but some did not have it

Last edited:

Junkers, I have always agreed with your train of though. That the things we see in the history books are never 100%. It was a long war and there is no way they could adhere to the letter of any regulation.

Erich also has a point that there is nothing to support this feature on the Minesweepers. I have to admit I like the detail and will do my best to implement it on my bird.

Junkers, I'm still unclear on the application. First lets make sure we are on the same page. The way I look at the props on the JU 52 is 2 blades make one prop. 3 props per plane = 6 blades. Make sense? Do all the blades on the outside props have the white tips? None of the photos show both ends of the props. Having been an aircraft mechanic the way I take the comments made by the actual pilots there should be markings on only one blade per prop (Outside engines). using that same logic then the center prop would have the marking on just one blade too. Is this correct?

Another question. What color is the landing gear? I've seen pictures where it appears that the landing gear struts are the same color as the underside of the aircraft. In the case of my model the gear would be light ghost gray. Is that correct? If not what color should it be? Erich does the books you have mention or show this?

If you guys have any other tidbits of info please be sure to share them. This is the stuff I live for.

now when we restored the propeller blades we found withe tips on bots tips on each end ( upper and lower ) so the outboards propellers ( both sides ) had withe tips up and down ( each outer wing engine had it like that ) and the markings are not on the front side so not seen from front

the two middle blade pops in the centre propeller had only the white strips lower down but not the tip itself like the other blades ( outer )
the white line on the centre prop did have that line on both bladed.. when starting all these markings gives a good blurry but steady "lihgt " og circle,,any abnormalities in the circles /( that would show fast ) and the pilot and mechanic knew they had props running not equal,,best way to tune the engine correct

and thanks for the suport pal i think we are on the same train heading in the same way..and yes..my opinion is that the legs does have the same colour ar the belly..i have seen grey legs..darkblack legs..blue legs.. so they are a part of the underbelly cammo

looking forard to see some modelles with these detail

here is a picture of one finished restored prop..note the white tips in both ends..they were painted on the micromillimimeter they vere positioned.. and we do NOT paint on markings like this if they were not prsesent..and from the 5 salvaged from the lake they all had white tips,, and they were all from different squadrons..

Attachments

• ju52 props 001.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I painted the props already and will wait till tomorrow or so to do the white markings.

As for the landing gear, thanks for that too. I am also building an Hs 129 and from what I can tell the landing gear on that bird was also the same as the underside.

Like I said before. Anything else you can add please feel free. Do you have any photos of the weapons and or the positions? Any and all pictures of your current birds or the historical photos are also welcome.

This project started as just an oob build of an anonymous aircraft and has turned into so much more. I keep learning more all the time.

Not sure if it is the same or not.But here are two profiles from books I have. I think they are pretty similar.

Ju-88, Ju-52, and Hs-219.

Struts are a bit different upon closer look.

Attachments

• HS129-014.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 2_22.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 132
  • ju52.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 120
I know this isn't a help, but, I found this. Look at the bottom of the picture not the plane at the top.

Attachments

• B25-attacking-JU-52-Med1943.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 143
the Hs 129 should have a light grey ( RLM 02 ) undercarriagelegs

and ofcourse a whitewall rear tire as all greman Ww2 planes
the upper drawings are missing the fabric cover on the tailwheel as seen on the WW2 drawings below. thsi was a common feature on many aircrafts but mostely missing today

keep up the good work pal

Attachments

• hs129 001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 119
  • hs129 002.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
not sure if you have seen my website..it will give you good details on a few birds..

the Ju 88 A1 ( of course ) and also the Ju 52 and He 111

look at the "others" section..Ju 52..he111 or exhebitions..they show a few things

JU88.net

enjoy
Guttorm

I know its been awhile sice we had the discussion about the JU52's props but here they finally are.

Now here it is all together on my corrugated coffin

Before

After

I also took some time to re-do the hubs which I had originally had painted aluminum

Since I had the white out I decided that this would be a good time to paint the stripe on the back end of the fuselage.

Well that's it for now. Thanks for taking time to look.

Users who are viewing this thread