Messerschmitt Makeover.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think I've almost got the spinner spiral sorted; just waiting for the white bands to dry, then retouch with red and hopefully it'll work! Meanwhile, I've got on with other jobs, including cleaning up and repainting the undercarriage and tail wheel, the latter having broken off during masking. It's now been re-painted, pinned with a length of wire, and glued back in place. Some of the detail painting has been done, and the canopy work is almost finished.
PIC 1. Shows the main gear legs and wheels, re-painted, with the inclusion of the data plates.
PIC 2. The supercharger intake, exhausts, and rear cockpit bulkhead have been painted, and some light exhaust staining added. The exhausts and suoercharger have yet to have the final touches added.
PIC 3. The Hasegawa canopy has had the head armour fitted, along with it's support brackets, made from plastic strip, and the locking lever fitted, made from a piece of melted and carved square section sprue. The framework has been painted, but needs a bit of re-touching, where the masking tape knicked a couple of areas during removal. I'm afraid this shot is slightly out on Depth of Field, but just visible is the knob on the 'sliding' side panel, made with a tiny blob of PVA.
PICS 4 and 5. Test fitting the canopy. A little more sanding is required on the rear glazing, then the canopy can be fitted and squared-up with the windscreen and rear frame, after fitting the retaining cable, looped back to the framework of the rear, fixed section.
Once all this is done, detail areas such as the rudder actuator rods and control horns will be made and fitted, together with replacement aileron mass balance horns, one of which has gone astray ove the years, as has the pitot tube. then it's on to small items such as the tie-down rings, antenna wire mounts, and re-fitting the landing gear. Then finish the spinner and re-paint the prop hubs and blades etc.
Thanks again for your interest and comments.

Attachments

• Bf109 and Tiffie 103.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 103.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 105.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 105.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 101.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 101.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 107.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 107.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 112.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 112.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 93
Thanks very much Jan and Darryl. If I get the spinner finsihed later, I'll post some pics. If I don't, I'll post a pic of the burning wreckage!!!

Terry, it just take my breath away, looking at the fine detail you (and others) put into a scale model. It's a shame they
don't fly.

Charles

Thanks very much Cory, Andy and Charles, it really is appreciated. I'm afraid my knackered hands don't allow me to add some of the finer detail I'd like to add, as in the past. It's very frustrating sometimes, so your kind comments are even more welcome.

Thanks Karl and Evan. The 'dragony thing' is a 'Tatzelwurm' Karl, a creature of legends from the mountains of Bavaria, and other European regions, and, judging by the legend and descriptions, is similar to the 'Lambton Worm', as in the song, from County Durham.
Anyway, I've made a bit more progress, not much of which can be seen, and am starting to tidy-up some areas and do detail painting. And at last, I've got that bl**dy spinner spiral painted!
PIC 1. Shows one of the rudder actuator rods, made from stretched sprue and plastic strip. There's a bit more work to do around the tail, including trimming, painting, and glazing the tail lamp, and smoothing-out some bubbles in the clear coat, evident in this pic.
PIC 2. The troublesome spinner spiral, hand painted at last! It's by no means perfect, but good enough, if viewed through half-closed eyes on a rainy day in December, from a range of three metres. The prop blades are only push fitted here, and the prop will be removed and the blades fitted properly, after the landing gear has been re-fitted, which is next on the list. If I'd used a bit of brain power, I could have made life a lot easier by using the spinner from the other un-built Matchbox kit, which could have been painted without the prop hubs getting in the way. The exisiting spinner could have then been used when the 'new' kit is built as Heinz Schnable's kite, as it's a simple colour scheme. Ah, the benefit of hindsight!!
Thanks again for the kind comments, and I'll post more pics soon.

Attachments

• Bf109 and Tiffie 116.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 116.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 118.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 118.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 109
Looking pretty damned good Terry. I love the spinner. I painted a few of those when I was young and steady. Now I am old and alcohol enhanced, I tend to stick to large flat areas of a single colour!!

Watching progress intently mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back