Movie Double Bill. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, it went according to plan. There are a couple of tiny areas which need a little re-touching, but other than that, I'm fairly pleased with the result.
The areas for the RLM 71 Dark Green were marked in pencil, no need for any of this scaling drawings and masking nonsense for this one, then sprayed freehand, keeping it tight but not too precise, in order to obtain a neat line with a soft edge. The paint was Humbrol 163 satin Dark Green.(the RLM 02 was mixed, using the Dark Green 163, Grey 27 and white.)
The wheel bays have also been painted, and await some minor detail painting.
Next step is a few very light panel lines, mainly the control surfaces and cowling latches, then a clear coat. I'm waiting for some inkjet decal paper to arrive, so I can't make the fictional Geschwader badges yet, therefore I'll put this on hold once clear coated, and get on with the GB stuff and the movie Spitfire.
Thanks again for your interest.

Attachments

• Buchon build 070.jpg
    Buchon build 070.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Buchon build 073.jpg
    Buchon build 073.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Buchon build 069.jpg
    Buchon build 069.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 119
You've been busy wile I was gone Terry! The screen and paint job look great! I took a lot of pictures of the Buchon at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, but it looks like your way past needing anything like that.

Thanks Glenn. I'll still welcome pics mate, as I'm trying to build-up a record of the aircraft used in the movie. Although this will be mainly pics of them at the time, images of what they look like now, where they are, who has them, whether they're airworthy etc will make a nice comparison.
I wonder if Andy (Crimea River) noticed the gap in the hangars whilst he was over here at Duxford this weekend? The base of one hangar is still there, empty, like a parade ground between the other hangars, where the movie company really did blow up the thing in 1968 !

Hi Terry. Just catching up on all the threads. Love the Buchon so far.

In hindsight, I did see the gap that you speak of but there were many displays and merchants filling the void. Having just got back, I'm, still sorting through many of my pics and have posted the few of the Buchons I didn't screw up below. There were two Buchons at Duxford but just one flew. Tony (Rocketeer) told me that the desert one is a newly refurbished machine.

Attachments

• BoB Buchon Parked.jpg
    BoB Buchon Parked.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Buchon.jpg
    Buchon.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Buchons Parked.jpg
    Buchons Parked.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 101
  • Desert Buchon Parked.jpg
    Desert Buchon Parked.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Desert Buchon Parked 2.jpg
    Desert Buchon Parked 2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Andy, and great pics mate ! The desert one appears to still have the clipped wings used in the movie, and I notice it's got the clear panels in the windscreen base, as per the 'F' - nice job.
Sorry I couldn't make it on Saturday, but Mick couldn't get away from work until early evening, and had to be back at work at mid -day on Sunday. Hope you had a good time, and enjoyed the show, as well as what you could see of historic Duxford.
If you come over here again. make sure to let me know, and we'll meet up this time, maybe at Duxford.

Try and make it a longer visit this time. Thanks again for the pics, I'm building-up a file of the BoB movie aircraft, and these will go in the 'Then and Now' section !

Thanks Eric. Just waiting for some inkjet decal paper, to make the JG badges, and it will then be almost finished.

Thanks very much Michael. The ink jet decal paper has arrived, so I hope to get the movie Geschwader zeichen made this weekend, and the rest of the decals on.
In the movie, there were two main JGs shown, although earlier in the programme, especially when the '109s' strafe the 'French' airfield, with the RAF Hurricanes on the ground, another unit is shown, with the shield under the cockpit looking suspiciously similar to that of JG2. (The Buchons had white spinners in this particular scene).
I'm modelling 'Red 11', mainly as a change from all the 'yellow noses' I've built in the past, and '11' due to the fact that all the other red numbers I have are the wrong shape to those used in the movie ! Although there are many photos, and some artwork, showing the Geschwader shield, designed for the movie, used on the yellow-nosed Buchons , the shield on the other Buchons was harder to track down, although it does look similar to the first. I finally did a 'freeze frame' of a scene on the two-disc DVD set I have, on how the aircraft were assembled and flown, and was able to draw my own artwork, and then 'play about' with it on the computer, to produce the masters for the decals. The design is a half blue, half white shield, with what appears to be a black silhouette of the Luftwaffe eagle, with a red swastika below it.
So, given I can get this done over the weekend, I should be able to proceed with the final part of the build, and then move on to its 'partner', the Mark 'Haddie' Spitfire ...... explanation in a following post !

Thanks Wayne. I hope to get them printed, sealed, and applied by tomorrow night (Sunday).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back