My Dad

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
Some of you may have seen posts of mine at Facebook regarding my Dad, so I thought I'd post here to get everyone up to speed on what's going on.

My Dad suffered a massive heart attack several years ago and the damage was enough to cause complications that have plagued him since then. He's been in and out of the hospital countles times over the years and early in January, he entered the hospital one last time.

His condition deteriorated so much, that they removed him from life support and sent him home this last Thursday morning under the supervision of Hospice care and a nurse.

His organs have been shutting down and as they did, his consciousness declined until he slipped into a "sleep" state and is pretty much unresponsive at this point in time. My sister flew out to his home in Claremont (Southern California) from her home in Texas to be with him and is keeping me advised on his condition. The nurse says he's still aware of what's going on even as his body is shutting down and my sister candetect a reaction from him by his breathing when she talks to him.

She put me on speaker phone last night and held the phone to his ear so I could speak to him and she said there was a very noticable reaction from Dad when I did.

Guys, this is some real hard stuff for me and I know we've had some members go through this recently as well.

It's hard as hell not to be there with Dad right now, since I have some things to deal with at work before I can head down there...but when I was talking to Dad last night, it was a goodbye and that's some mighty hard sh!t to do, you know?

Many of us have been there. I guess most of us will be at some point.

When I said goodbye to my Dad, it was the toughest day of my life.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Steve

I hope your father won't have to suffer too long. I lost my father very suddenly a few years back and I know what a hard blow it is. I still feel it after 6 years. My thoughts are with you in these tough times.

Dave

Yes, I've seen your update on FB but have not replied.

Words seem to fail in situations like this, so all I'll say is your online family is here to listen and help where possible mate. You are not alone.

I share your grief. I lost my dad several years ago and right at this moment my mother inlaw is in the exact same position your dad is in now. My wife is leaving in a couple of days to be with her mom. I'm like you, stuck in place with no chance to leave... My prayers are with you and your family.

It's sad to hear this Dave and my thoughts go out to you and the family. If you can't get down in time at least you know you're dad could hear over the phone when you were saying your goodbye.

Dave I know the feelings you are experiencing Sir I just hope you get there before he past away and say goodbye properly.I had my Mother die in my arms with me telling her to let go from cancer and she passed away quietly.That situation was much easier then my father who just collapsed in the middle of a joke and I never got to say I love you or goodbye so take it for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back