My health and my RAF Diorama.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Hi all,

I thought i'd better tell you all that i've not been doing much modeling lately even though i've just finished this diorama.

i've got a serious bad back, Well several weeks ago back in June the pain got that bad my brain shut down and i nearly died.

My spine trapped my Sciatica Nerve and i've lost the use of my left leg and the pain was that bad i couldn't take anymore and was rushed into Hospital.

While i was there i saw an old man 'pass away' which wasn't very nice at all and it brought memories back of when my father died.

Back in March i had 2 Seizures in which i ended up in Hospital for two days and lost some of my memory :oops:
and was allowed out and i got alot of my memory back, only for me to have 7 seizures in the middle of June and ended back in Hospital this time on a life support machine for 2 days and was kept in Hospital for a week. This time when i got out i had completely lost my memory i didn't even knew where i lived nor did i know i had 2 kids and a wife :cry:

I couldn't understand where all the models had come from and when i was told i made them i was shocked at this !, I didn't know how to use a PC nor use a paint brush but after looking at the forums i go on, kindly shown by my son, i then realised i did make them after all 8)

It didn't take me long to learn how to use a brush again and the wife shown me the unfinished Diorama which was about 3/4 finished and with the help/advice from the wife i'm starting to re-gain my memory back, Not all of it yet as i'm typing with 1 finger and struggling to spell words correctly. If i can't get back into modeling i might have to give up, I've lost about 10-15yrs of my memory, infact i can really only remember upto 1988.

Anyway enough of me ! heres my Diorama......

Some might think i've over done it but remember that this would be a small part of the base and out of view would be 'lollie pops' and more 'peri tracks'. Note the two bofors guns checking out the skies looking for enemy planes,a group of ground crew having a kick about with a ball with a few on lookers, a AEC re-fueler being driven by a groundcrew who can't be doing with waiting for the convoy to go by so he goes onto the grass in turn 'ripping' the grass up !, a Coles crane lowering a front turret onto some pallets and being 'steadied' by two crew men, a Queen mary had a puncture and was changed by two crew members and they are being over looked by a sexy WAAF, as on many RAF bases the crew members relied on their bikes which a dotted around !

Have a good look around at and see what you can spot !, it will sure make you smile i do :D

mydiorama022.gif

mydiorama021.gif

mydiorama020.gif

mydiorama019.gif

mydiorama018.gif

mydiorama017.gif

mydiorama016.gif

mydiorama015.gif

mydiorama014.gif

mydiorama013.gif

Last edited:
:shock: Jesus Ian, hope you are on the way to a speedy recovery mate, couldn't believe your bad run man!

your diorama is fantastic mate....no BS man...more concerned with you at this point!!! Please take care, sounds like you have a great and caring family...my best wishes to you all!

Cripes all mighty Ian! I'm sorry for what your going through and hope your on your way to a speed recovery. I pray you find working on the diorama's enjoyable still. This one is really good and I appreciate the pics you posted.

You take care of yourself. Sounds like you have a great support group around you with your wife and son.

Heck Ian! I knew you'd had a bit of a bad time a couple of months back, but this latest news is shocking! I hope you are recovering, and that there won't be any reoccurence of the problem. If you want any help or encouragement, you know how to get me, just call or e-mail mate.
The diorama is fantastic, and an unusual change from the normal aircraft dio. There are so many different facets, it's hard to say which one I like best. Great work mate. When you feel up to it, are you going to add additional sections? Steady though, you might end up with the whole of Scampton in your house!!

Looking good Ian
but take it easy, one step at a time (your health, I mean)
Is the diorama a commission, or just something for your own collection?

Wow, having battle Sciatica myself I have knowledge of what you were going through. Happy to see you back, and wish you a speedy recovery as well.

P.S. Diorama looks great, Black and Whites are nice, and I like to two guys carrying the wheel on thier shoulders.

Ian, I'm still in shock...!!! Bloody hell mate, I hope you get better SOON.
Thank God you've got such a great family to help you there (and alot of mates on the forum for extra support..:) )

...LOVE your diorama too, always wanted to do a similar scene with a Lanc myself!

Evan

Ian, I was truly ripped reading about your health, I wish and hope for a speedy recovery. And a great diorama you have made, keep at it! (slowly) :)

I'm shocked about your bad run Ian, bl**dy h*ll man! My most heartfelt and sincere wishes for your speedy and full recovery, memory and all mate..! :salute:

Wonderful diorama!

Take good care of yourself....

I hate reading sh!t like this about our members, it really rips me up.... Ian, I certainly hope ur getting better man, ur work has been an inspiration to MANY of us wanna-be builders and motivated a few of us to try and do work that is beyond our skills... I am really sorry for ur experiences of late, but thank God u have such wonderful family members to help u through it.. A great support network will go a long way to ur recovery Brother....

The dio looks fantastic, but I have only one "real" request:
Where the hell is that sexy WAAF ur talkin about??? Maybe a closeup of her tight fitting uniform???

There she is Les
right at the front of the group on the grass or extreme left of picture
Platinum blonde too...

Attachments

• mydiorama008.jpg
    mydiorama008.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 166

Users who are viewing this thread

Back