My old friend Meatloaf.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
He isn't gone, yet. But at 15 years old and a bad heart condition, well,..
I just wanted to give the old boy a place in history. I am fond of the little f*cker.
meatloaf1.jpg

meatloaf2.jpg

And the little @sshole that is with him, her name is Crowbar.

They are more than family, cuz they don't judge.

I had a mutt named............... Spot! Yeah, okay, I was 10!
Left for USN bootcamp, came home on leave and no Spot. My step brothers response to where was Spot?
"Oh, he died. Gangrene, he got bit by a rabbit"......... WTF
Now how in blazes does a dog die of gangrene in the 20th century?

Sorry to hear about the Loaf mate...... I know what you feel.

Everyday, I wish that I could turn back time and have the puppy that I remember. He is still spry, and moves about, but he has problems on the smooth floor of the kitchen, his back legs slip and he falls. He is fine on carpet, and he can climb the steps that I made for him to get up into my bed, and the other ones that get him onto his favorite couch.
I should mention that his tail still wags as he drags his nuts across my pillow at night. (the @sshole!)

Last edited:
I know how it is. Me and my wife have a cat at the moment (we want a few dogs as well eventually). Our cat is like family to us. It is like our child that we don't have yet (I know that is creepy huh?).

Anyhow she is 10 years old now, and I dread the day that we have to either put her down, or I come home and find her passed. It will be heart breaking, especially for my wife.

That is truth.
I would like to be here with him in his last moments, but then again, I know that I will be devastated if I am.
The screwy thing is, I have had several dogs over the years, but this one is special. I never liked Chihuahuas before, but this one claimed me early. He was always "my dog". He insisted on it.
Over the years I saved him from getting his head crushed in the fold away couch, getting his jaws caught in a cage, taking him to the vet when he had a back injury,(that magically was cured when the Doc shoved a thermometer up his rear!), and from basic starvation, because he doesn't like dog food. (He prefers what is on my plate).

Everyday, I wish that I could turn back time and have the puppy that I remember. He is still spry, and moves about, but he has problems on the smooth floor of the kitchen, his back legs slip and he falls. He is fine on carpet, and he can climb the steps that I made for him to get up into my bed, and the other ones that get him onto his favorite couch.
I should mention that his tail still wags as he drags his nuts across my pillow at night. (the @sshole!)

In there heart they think they are only five but the ole body says 90ish.I have seen Raven chase a cat on a dewey nite get 50' and slip and roll and go arrgh crap.She gets up after a few moments an I scold her that "you are no longer 6yrs ole girl"I am about deaf in one ear and Raven helps me there for family protection I luv her alot like a kid in away but me and her went through Katrina like soul mates morso than my family.that bond last till this day!!!!!

1964 is when I went home on boot leave, I was 18, 52 years.
I still miss ole Spot.
Black with white socks.
He was a good mate.

I'm sorry to hear about your little buddy, Paul...it's hard to see a pet get up there in years. They're a family member, but without all the annoying human traits.

I've grown up with pets that were brought home as puppies and lived a full life, sharing and creating memorable moments, then passing on, which was always difficult.

I grew up with Shepherds...they are like eternal kids, always ready for an adventure and seem to know your mood and act accordingly. The bond was such, they seemed to become a companion of the soul.

Nice pics Paul and I feel for you with your old faithful friend.

I still feel the same about my daughters Collie, Steed who passed on about 4 years back at a ripe old age. He would pop of upstairs to our bedroom at about 9:00pm when staying with us and if we were still up half an hour later, down he would come, head popped round the door as if to say 'well come on then', his night would be spent on the floor by the bed. Come morning as soon as we stirred, he would stand up and a pleading face would ask to jump up on the bed and it only took a wink for him to pounce. He would the flop down between us, on his back, head on pillow and all four legs flopping about in the air.

Daughter now has two Labradors, which both have great personalities, but they will never replace Steed in our hearts.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, it is so much like loosing a part of the family. My dog passed several years ago and I still miss her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back