MY WORLD

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It seems the pics I took were more to illustrate the smoke than being Joe Tourist. On top of that, about an hour into the trip I realized that I had forgot to pack my Canon. Anyhoo.....smokey pictures it shall be. The first two are just north of Williams Lake where a large portion of the evacuees were from.

IMG_2647.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG

After picking up #2 daughter in Kamloops (9hrs. driving) it was decided to spend the night in Hope, where Sylvester Stalones "First Blood" was filmed; wife & #2 included...

IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG

The next two pics aren't mine but were posted Sat. Aug. 05 and show the difference before and during the wild fires The top picture is Kamloops and the bottom one is Williams Lake. The air quality this day in Kamloops, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, was 49.

IMG_2671.JPG
IMG_2672.JPG

Last edited:
Lund, B.C., the start of Highway 101. Lund Hotel and dock

IMG_2674.JPG
IMG_2675.JPG
IMG_2676.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG

In the back ground, what was once the worlds largest single unit mill, at it's peak employing 2200 workers and now down to a few hundred.

IMG_2683.JPG

Looking across the Georgia Straight to where Vancouver Island should be, 12 miles away

IMG_2684.JPG

The smoke made some interesting sunsets, Vancouver Island and Texada Island ferries included

IMG_2692.jpg

Powell River is located 90 miles up coast from Vancouver, with the 2 ferries one has to take to get there, the travel time is 5hrs. There has always been talk of making a highway or bridge(s) to make this shorter. Having logged in some of the areas, I know the winter upkeep on the roadway would be a nightmare and I'm sure the 2 bridges would cost a fortune. I kinda cut off the Langdale ferry route at the bottom center but you get the picture

IMG_2681.JPG

.... there's so much more to BC than Vancouver. I have vivid memories of Cariboo country, Cash Creek, Williams Lake, Quesnel and much more from 1961. But the interior and coast are like two different countries. Walked across Rogers Pass highway from Revelstoke to Golden when the highway was still being built

Last edited:
Back story to below pic. Two tours ago I went to fuel up. The weather was brutal (not shown) with the snow blowing sideways and windchill down to minus stupid. I'm attached to the fuel island via a Wiggins fuel nozzle and quick disconnect hose. After I was full I got in the grader and the fuel guy waved me off. I sounded the horn to let anyone know I was starting the engine and once again the fuel guy waved. I raised the blade and ripper, put the grader in gear and drove off. Go about a hundred feet and I hear, "Stop, stop stop" on the radio. I look back and I'm dragging the fuel hose, fuel guy was in such a rush he forgot to disconnect even though he waved me off....twice. Even sadder, he had to step over the hose as he walked away. During the investigation he admitted total fault as he was in such a rush. My buddy who I've known and worked with for about 25yrs drew it...

upload_2017-11-12_7-33-46.png

Wiggins fuel nozzle for those wondering...

41GAYGpAK8L._SX342_.jpg

Back story to below pic. Two tours ago I went to fuel up. The weather was brutal (not shown) with the snow blowing sideways and windchill down to minus stupid. I'm attached to the fuel island via a Wiggins fuel nozzle and quick disconnect hose. After I was full I got in the grader and the fuel guy waved me off. I sounded the horn to let anyone know I was starting the engine and once again the fuel guy waved. I raised the blade and ripper, put the grader in gear and drove off. Go about a hundred feet and I hear, "Stop, stop stop" on the radio. I look back and I'm dragging the fuel hose, fuel guy was in such a rush he forgot to disconnect even though he waved me off....twice. Even sadder, he had to step over the hose as he walked away. During the investigation he admitted total fault as he was in such a rush. My buddy who I've known and worked with for about 25yrs drew it...

Wiggins fuel nozzle for those wondering...

Great story. Thanks for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back