P-40K Col. Robert L. Scott Commander 23rd Fighter Group, 1943 China

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just finished re-reading 'God is my co-pilot' last week, its great to see Col Scott's last machine in model form.

Great build so far Glenn, was doing a stash inventory yesterday and the P-40B I found in there was calling to me!

Just finished re-reading 'God is my co-pilot' last week, its great to see Col Scott's last machine in model form.

That should be his last P-40. :)
I recently read another autobiography he wrote late in his life called The Day I Owned the Sky that covered his entire life. He left China for the states a short time after the events at the end of God is My Co-Pilot, which he wrote by talking into a dictating machine in a hotel room over the period of only a few days. After being technical adviser for the movie God is My Co-Pilot, he returned to China late in the war and flew P-51s, demonstrating rocket ground attack methods. He was not supposed to fly combat missions but did anyway and got into trouble for it being recalled to Washington my Chief of the Air Force Gen. Hap Arnold to be chewed out personally.
After the war he commanded a fighter base in Germany flying F-84Es and later in the stated flying F-84Fs. Before he retired he was flying F-100s. And just think, this was a man who was taught to fly in a Curtiss Jenny and began his Air Force career flying Bi-Planes in the early 1930s

Great build so far Glenn, was doing a stash inventory yesterday and the P-40B I found in there was calling to me!
Go for it Keith, you can never have too many P-40s. I have at least 5 in my stash and 3 already built on the shelf.

I have 2 more Amtechs, an 'E' and an 'L', an arii P-40E and a mongram P-40e in the stash myself.

It's been quite a while since I've worked on Col. Scott's P-40, but I'm back at it again and I've finished the cockpit detail painting. I've got models in my stash I'm planing on doing as Scott's F-84E and F-84F, but I need to finish this one first.
P2086413.JPG

Last edited:
I made up some home-made seat belts from wine bottle lead foil, made a oxygen hose out of coiled copper wire. I then assembled the cockpit and test fitted it into the fuselage. It was a nice snug fit and will be ready to be glued in as soon as I so a little painting on portions of the fuselage shell that will still show.
P2096416.JPG
P2096417.JPG
P2096420.JPG
P2096421.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back