P-47D RAZORBACK, 1/48 Monogram " DONE! "

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you my friends for their batons. !!

Another small step, continuing with details ...

In several reference photos I have observed that "the reed piece" of where the engine exhaust, the aluminum sheet is unpainted; I liked that distinction, so using aluminum foil paper, look for the most suitable thickness ...

After several attempts and difficulties the best option was used a lead sheet (of those used in dental X-rays), gave me better resistance with a swab got the details of the piece (rivets and contour) will be marked very well ...

With a new scalpel blade I took over sheet ...

I finally give him a pass with gloss varnish and let dry until tomorrow to start with decals.

Finally with a branch stretching heat, completing those little missing pieces to the leg of the landing gear.

Let dry for the morning, then set the correct size and yellow paint.

So far this small advance. Much appreciate your kind comments.

Hasta pronto amigos y gracias por sus visitas ...

Luis Carlos
SANCER

Good work. Do you like the foil method better than painting?

Thanks Andy for stopping and for your kind comment, I know that depending on the area to be painted is always easier, and with Alclad II I have had very good results , but in this desire to try different techniques I wanted to try to see the metallic finish providing the lead sheet. ( I not yet have models that serve me to practice...!! ), so I try very focused and following the recommendations of you, other forums, the web and some modeling magazines.

I will never tire to recognize the support, knowledge and experience in this forum, I am fascinated by this hobby.

Gracias de nuevo amigo.

SANCER

Very kind George. Note that everything gets easier when you enjoy it and enthusiasm that I have found here ... makes it MORE easy !!

Gracias

You are very kind Huge Jan ; I am in the process of applying decals ... for being an old model, I thought to find them in poor condition, but so far I have not had a problem.

The kit instructions are so simple that do not clearly describe the position of small decals (not think he had so many) ... and do not distinguish very well the images on paper ... and detailed decals are better than expected ... The texts are very well understood.

I hope to place them in the correct position.

Thanks again friends and see you soon !!

Luis Carlos

The decals really handled it well, although somewhat slow my way to apply.
(it was not necessary to release my new Microscale Liquid Decal Film - bought it thinking of the old decals from my model -)

I decided in a first stage to place all large decals, with the help of Micro Set and Micro Sol; let it dry overnight and then on two more sessions, put the rest of them.

They were few that I broke when handling on the plane, but no major problem was join them in the correct position ...

... I share the photos ...

I'll leave that until tomorrow, I'm thinking of giving a new slight pass with gloss varnish to seal up well the decals before entering the washes and pigments , ... you guys advise me ?? ... it will be necessary ?? ... or I go directly to weathering ??

Waiting for your comments, I leave here with this progress. Thanks in advance.

Saludos

Luis Carlos

Hello again aerial craft mates , I appreciate your visits to the desk.

Well, I leave pictures of what was my second attempt with washing oils.

Actually, I wanted to try washing with chalks art, but something I did wrong, I did not like the finish, it was easy to remove and resorted to my more or less better known technique with oils.
Unless your best opinion and advice, I think the layers of paint and varnish for adding decals and another layer to seal them, I think this did lose some details not highlighted as expected with washing.

The right wing has oil washing and the left shows as was cleaned after my failed attempt with chalks.

... other parts that applied washing ...

... nothing more pleasing to replenish lost energy that good sips from my ice cold beer !! Salud!!

A couple of days later I decided to make an adjustment and improve the view of the formation light, which provides the kit is very fake ... so I took a transparent branch and began to work it ...

You may have observed that the antenna is also missed in the process , so prepare both zones for placing the new parts.

Returning to the formation light, I used a mini hacksaw to cut as short as possible the tip, then with a mini drill I made a hole through the underside simulating the focus.
Then simply sanding and sanding on the underside to reduce the size to the ideal measure.

... from a piece of styrene I replied the antenna ...

One more drill bit than just passed away! Already I'll have to replenish my set of 20 !!

A presentation of how shall be the pieces before glue in place.

I hope you like.
Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Un gran saludo, donde se encuentren!

LC
SANCER

Looking good Luis. However it seems that the P-47D had the antenna mast of a different shape similar to the one for the HV-P kite ( a pic below ). Also the attaching point for the antenna mast was of a slight offeset toward the port side of the fuselage. Here a couple of pics I found via the net.

Last edited:
Good stuff Luis. One small point regarding the prop decals - the Curtiss Electric badge always had one prop blade pointing vertically down, towards the tip of the real prop, so that the wording was then correctly orientated for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread