Remember Tomorrow.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Due to the various time-zones, I thought I'd post this here today.
Tomorrow is the 11th November, the day when we remember the fallen of two World wars, and countless conflicts since.
At the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month, in 1918, the Armistice came into force, thus ending the greatest conflict man had witnessed up to that date, soon to be known as 'The Great War', or 'The War to end all Wars'.
Tomorrow is unique, as this rememberance will happen at the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, of the 11th year - 11/11/11/11.
Lest We forget.

Once a century indeed with all the 11's.
A really big day here in the UK when we remember and reflect on the cost of our own liberty and our sacrifices to liberate others.
John

Tomorrow I will be thinking of Charles Michael Chessher, PFC, USMC who gave his life in Vietnam in 1968. He was 19, I think.

He and I spent many an evening, in the EM Club, in Da Nang talking "old times". I miss him and will be thinking of him (and many
others) who gave their all for their country.

Charles

I'll be attending local ceremonies tomorrow with my wife and kids. My teens have been raised on the tradition of paying respect to those who have fallen.

I have the honor to be part of a Veterans Day flyover tomorrow over Santa Barbara. The ever changing forecast looks marginally good for tomorrow. To me, there is no bigger honor than to be part of something like this. I have several people that I have been thinking about this week. Thank you to my fellow vets. :salute:

I'll be remembering SGT Merilla, SSG Robins, SSG Demand, and SSG Burbank killed during my deployment to Iraq.
We had many with some serious wounds that survived.
I'll salute them properly at sunset Friday. Warhorse!

"For The Fallen" by Laurence Binyon

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

My many thanks to those who have served their country (whichever country that may be) in time of war and in time of peace. :salute:

The sad thing is, there is a very large (and growing) portion of the population who have no idea of the significance of the date (one teen I spoke with several years ago, while still in retail, thought it was a holiday dreamed up to give gov't workers a day off and stores another sales day), much less why I'm going to be wearing a poppy today.

to all who have fallen on all sides in past and present conflicts
icon_salute_proper.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back