Revell 1/72nd Supermarine Walrus Mk.1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Out of curiosity, anybody have guesses on what the "silver thingy" might be? A coil heater covershield perhaps? Looks much too close to the crew, but I can't think of what else it might be.

Attachments

• window2.JPG
    window2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 113
don't really know Matt. Thought Fire Extinguisher cover or something, but it's more likely to be the cover over the control for the bunker where they kept the timber for the wood-burning engine!

:lol:

Is it just me or does it look like the cover has no top. Kinda like a piece of aluminum that is molded port to starboard around something else. That's what made me think of a coil heater.

Probably much simpler. Likely a fold down tin arm tray for map reading and navigation. :dontknow:

It does look 'hollow' at the top, and it also looks familiar somehow, as if I've seen something like it in other aircraft. I'm wondering if it's an incomplete part of the restoration or, as you say, an arm-rest or similar. Looks like those are rivets holding something on the inside, maybe the padding for the arm-rest?

Just found this thread now FFS! Lovely work so far Matt, another one to add to my 1/48 wishlist! Nice paintjob and weathering. Love the figures, good call repositioning their heads. :thumbright:

I'd be doing mine Irish Air Corps scheme, a much simpler paint job, the whole thing is silver! Just the rear tail struts are black.

Just found this thread now FFS! Lovely work so far Matt, another one to add to my 1/48 wishlist! Nice paintjob and weathering. Love the figures, good call repositioning their heads. :thumbright:

I'd be doing mine Irish Air Corps scheme, a much simpler paint job, the whole thing is silver! Just the rear tail struts are black.

Thanks, Muller.

You can have your "much simpler" silver paint job. Personally I find bare metal color schemes very challenging. I have a quite a few in the wings that I am too timid to approach (B-17G, B-25H, P-47, etc.) for exactly that reason.

Thanks, Muller.

You can have your "much simpler" silver paint job. Personally I find bare metal color schemes very challenging. I have a quite a few in the wings that I am too timid to approach (B-17G, B-25H, P-47, etc.) for exactly that reason.

Use Alclad II. I used it, and it works well. I screwed it up on my Frank and it crackled, but it was also my first time using the airbrush. What turned out, turned out really well! Nice even finish, and you can use multiple "colours" of it, so you get different tones for different panels.

And the Walrus looks great Matt!

The paintjob on the IAC bird wouldn't be too hard, it's not actually bare metal, they painted the walrus with silver paint. Then tri-colour stripes on the wing upper/lower surfaces and tail. I have a Decal sheet for an Anson, it'd work on the Walrus too. Being neutral (on the side of the Allies!) they didn't need to camo their aircraft.

Great work Matt! ..and great save with the cockpit bulkhead, she came out a treat!

Unfortunately I don't know what that aluminium 'thing' is, thought maybe an armrest at first, but it seems too wide. All I can say is it seems to be absent in photos I found of the RAAF museum's example under restoration ( Fleet Air Arm (FAA) Archive Index of British Naval Aviation ), and resin kit accessories ( www.kitreview.com/reviews/images/walrusreviewlr ).

Great pics too - I'll use them when I do my own Walrus in RNZAF scheme.

Evan

Okay my friends. Fourth and last (I assure you) build of the wing assembly. Scratch built the engine housing supports. Aligned them as best I could. Using only plastic cement (for best and most solid bond) I also glued the outer wing struts drilling holes to maximize surface area to bond for best strength.

Plan is to get the lower wing and struts/supports in alignment. Then mate the upper wing to get the struts/supports parallel with the upper wing. Then glue.

Unfortunately, I have a strut or two that is too short. Me not happy. :angry4:

Oh... and I did some more subtle weathering, panel lines and decal application.

Attachments

• DSCF1955.JPG
    DSCF1955.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF1956.JPG
    DSCF1956.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF1957.JPG
    DSCF1957.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back