Shinpachi's 3D/CGI World

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, vikingBerserker!
I'm so happy you enjoy my work.
Thanks so much!

Also, Thank you for such a good question about the IJN color scheme for their subs, GrauGeist.
I heard there were two colors - black and grey(blueish). Black came first and Grey followed
by 1944(?) when grey had been proved effective as camouflage on the water surface.

I am thinking I-14, 400, 401 and 402 were painted in black because they look too dark on the photographs.

My dream is always to restore or rebuild those famous IJN/IJA lost aircrafts or ships such as Zero
fighter, Yamato and I-series submarines etc for the museums. Yes, I would like to raise the sunk subs from the ocean floor, if possible:shock:

Thanks guys:)

Last edited:
I am not so talented at all as your photograph skill and sense, Aaron but many thanks for your compliment.
I am so glad if you enjoy my work.

I guess I have improved the image impression a little bit better this time.
Please evaluate:oops:

Thanks!

Attachments

• I-14_CT_02image31a.JPG
    I-14_CT_02image31a.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 198
  • I-14_CT_02image32b.JPG
    I-14_CT_02image32b.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I think the I-400 was in a dark grey. Do you happen to have a copy of :

"I-400 Japan's Secret Aircraft Carrying Strike Submarins: Objective Panama Canal"

by Sakaida, Nila, Takaki?

You artisty is just amazing to me. I like the first the best as you can see more detail, but the 2nd looks like a closer color catch.

Thanks for your post vikingBerserker and take apology for my late reply.

I am not ready to comment your opinion about the color yet but have got a copy of "I-400 Japan's Secret Aircraft Carrying Strike Submarins: Objective Panama Canal" anyhow.

Strange thing to me is our local modellers prefer "light grey" for the I-400s to black or dark-grey.
On photos, I-402 looks light-grey at least but not the others. In my old memory, I-400 and 401 should not be the light-grey as they were not in time for the new standards of submarine color.

At a meeting held by an IJN Manager in early 1935, an officer clearly said "Black color is not sophisticated" so there might be no black color but dark-grey instead in the early 1940s any longer. If I-400 was dark-grey, that's OK because it was not light-grey at least.

Please let me comment about the color again when I am ready to do so with confidence in the future.
I appreciate your very educational instruction about our old submarine color.
Thanks.

Last edited:
OK, I have reached a conclustion about the IJN submarine paint color though it might be wrong when an expert may read this.

There were two colors for them - BLACK and GREY but the grey had variation by the arsenal like Yokosuka, Kure and Sasebo. But, lighter or darker, color that did not belong to black was called grey(or rat-color in old style of saying) or Gunkan-shoku(warship color).

Now, I have to say I-14, 400, 401 and 402 were painted in GREY!
Thanks expert guys for reading. I spent a week to reach this simple conclusion.
8)

Attachments

• I-14_CT_02image39RS.JPG
    I-14_CT_02image39RS.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Thanks Aaron and vikingBerserker.
I'd like to accelerate my modelling work a little quicker.

By the way,
Here is a propaganda movie titled "Instant Sinking" produced by the Imperial Japanese Navy in April, 1944.

This documentary-look film introduced a real mission of a I-?? submarine in action on the Indian Ocean.
A couple of I-type look submarines appear on the screen to hide its actual ID but one of our experts says that the war-result introduced in the movie indicates I-10 aircraft carrier submarine. This movie would help me to know the I-type sub's interior design.
If someone may also be interested, please check these clips listed below (about eight minutes a clip. Totally an hour).

Thanks!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0LsAMLkT7M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMw_jhFfcM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp5YiQGWNOM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQqVhgBS0ag

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P39lg8ERBpY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww3zgeIT6Wo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA07thaVAmk

Attachments

• IJN_image00.JPG
    IJN_image00.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 167
You are welcome, GrauGeist and Aaron.
Thanks for checking the clips.

Seeing this film, I have a strange feeling.
I feel as if I were suddenly shown my own old memory which was totally lost over sixty years ago because, as long as I recall, this kind of old film that introduced soldiers' daily life under the war has not been being introduced in this country of Japan officially so many times over half a century.

One reason was that media always wanted to show the tragic side only of the war like Kamikaze or Hiroshima/Nagasaki or bombing by B-29s or massacre in China etc.

I must tell you all, with surprise, that the Japanese life-style and way of thinking today have been too much changed even to miss the past. Unchanged are the language and their innocent good smile on the movie as a hard worker. I can still see the same faces around me today.

Last edited:
You are welcome, GrauGeist and Aaron.
Thanks for checking the clips.

Seeing this film, I have a strange feeling.
I feel as if I were suddenly shown my own old memory which was totally lost over sixty years ago because, as long as I recall, this kind of old film that introduced soldiers' daily life under the war has not been being introduced in this country of Japan officially so many times over half a century.

One reason was that media always wanted to show the tragic side only of the war like Kamikaze or Hiroshima/Nagasaki or bombing by B-29s or massacre in China etc.

I must tell you all, with surprise, that the Japanese life-style and way of thinking today have been too much changed even to miss the past. Unchanged are the language and their innocent good smile on the movie as a hard worker. I can still see the same faces around me today.
It must have been hard for the society to change like it did within a generation. The younger generation probably adapted alot easier than the older generation who grew up with the old traditions and customs that had been around since the feudal age.

I agree, GrauGeist.

My father, 84, often said "Army life was Hell! But civilian life in the postwar may be hell too. We workers are still asked to dedicate ourselves to the new nation under the new foreign standards. Want it or not, we must learn everything from the beginning again."

He added "Don't drink Coca-cola."
I, 14 then, asked "What should I buy to drink?"
"Have Fanta!"
"Fanta juice is also produced by Coca-cola!"
I can't forget his eye of big surprise...

This is from my recent works for the RR Merlin.
I'm going to be back to modelling the IJN sub I-14 in early next year soon.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_modelling_Merlin_No.33.jpg
    Screenshot_modelling_Merlin_No.33.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 150
Thank you, Paul (May I?), for your compliment.
I always appreciate your kind courtesty for my posts as well as that by other nice memebers.

Modelling the Merlin is a request from my Australian friend, Ross who is restoring Spitfire there.
According to his words, the design of Merlin is God's plan.
Yes, I admire beauty of its mechanism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back