Show Your Workbench (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A bunch of spring clamps like these are invaluable

P6219133.JPG

Last edited:
Well guys, it IS the bench..... but if you look closely... it's the end of the dining table, therefore this is the reason it is so neat.
But to tell the truth, my workspaces have always had to be this way. Doing drafting the tools had to be Right there to use, and at work my router table area has everything close at hand. Just the way it is.

I had a kid working in my sign shop in the old days, his mantra was "a place for everything, and everything all over the place"! Drove me nuts!

Meat's posted a picture of index drill bits. Does anyone have a pic of the drill itself. I don't think my Makita 3/8 drill will work.
There is a thing called a "pin vice" that you use manually, I have one somewhere... "A place for everything and everything all over the place!",
I usually forgo the tool and just use my fingers to twist them. Styrene is pretty soft.
Bill, I see your better half lets you keep a display cabnet out there also, all mine have to be in my hobby room, there is no space in the rest of the house, she's got Snoopy's everywhere!

Last edited:
Here's some of the basic tools I have.
1. two scalpel holders, one with straight blade one with curved and one exacto holder. 2. sprue snippers. 3. I use the Tamiya tapes for masking, and some general taping. Cheap stuf otherwise. 4. I just got this for panel lines and love it, costly. But I used the end of an old airbrush needle for a very long time. 5. Humbrol cement, just changed to it and it holds like the devil himself. 6. This little multi pro works a treat, cheep as chips, but has a cord. 35 bucks but you have to go to eBay and get a set of chuck inserts to use with Dremel bits as this one is advertised for nail work. The slowest speed is fast enough. 7. Mr. Surfacer for seam and dent filling. Various degrees of finess, this one is 1200. 8. If you go to Micro Mark on the web you will see this red packet of drill bits, they have shanks that are Dremel size! You can use your fingers for these. The blue packet is standard drills micro size but you need the pin vise for these. The red packet has basic sizes, the blue duplicates some of the red, but has some inbetween sizes from the red. 10. The pin vise. Comes with different size chuck inserts. 11. Clamps these two styles will get you by for 99o/o of what you need. 12. Exacto saw, comes in very handy. 13. Tweezers, Sometimes the ones from a two dollar shop in the womens section are better than the expensive ones from hobby suppliers. 14. Files, these little needle files are in the Micro Mark catalog. Again, I have tried and dislike the diamond ones. That little bigger flat one is used for most of my file work. The needle files for finer filing.

I also use the thin and medium Super glues. I have quit using the little tubes from the grocery store. Get the better stuff from the hobby shop or Micro Mark. Super glue can be used to fill little dents as well, and for photo etch parts is a must. The little stick has a stiff wire stuck in the end with the smallest loop you can make. I touch a tiny puddle of super glue with the loop to apply the glue where I want it. The lighter I use to burn the dry glue from the loop, it's flamable. It's the only way to clean the loop.

The Humbrol Cement works on white styrene to styrene and to the kit plastic. It bonds tight.

Dremel tools, get the high speed set, NEVER the diamond tools as they load up and are too difficult to clean. They're crap as far as I am concerned.

My story, and I'll stick to it. Hope this helps.

Bill

Attachments

• tools 1.jpg
    tools 1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 162
  • tools 2.jpg
    tools 2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 174
Another thing that is great to have is a micro set of drills. I don't think you folks up north have Harbor Freight. They make a great set of tiny tiny drills that will fit into your pin vise drill.
Here's a link to the set 20 Piece Solid Carbide Micro Bit Grab Bag They are great for battle damage, threading wires and doing spark plugs, you name it. They also have some great micro files too...Search results for: 'needle files' That store is one of my favorites. Now we're not talking top of the line stuff ,but I have never had a problem with their tools and such, you can also get clamps, dental picks for scribing panel lines and what ever. All kinds of different types of tape and they also sell little bench grinders and polishers.

Check out their catalog. I don't know if you have any friends down below in the lower 48 that could get you what you need or maybe HF will ship to you.

Yeah I know, But I have the smallest room in our house, gave mom the big room for all medical and personal stuff, lots of pictures and painting for her to try to remember things anything that helps...

Your collection is growing rapidly Karl - no wonder you want your own house! I've worked out that, even if I'm able to get enough cabinets and shelves, for the space available in my place, i still won't have enough display space when the 'stash' kits are built and added to the current, built models!
That said, I've also worked out it's going to take around 7 to 10 years to build the (current) stash - if I make it to that age!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back