Show Your Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Roger that. Making your own can be more cost effective, though the glass work, if done at a custom shop, can be expensive.

I too am in need of cabinets. Saw one at IKEA once that seemed nice but put the thought away for the future and never got back to it. Like Glenn, I think glass doors are a must for me and I'd build my own if it weren't for an ever growing list of higher priority projects that need to be done around my house.

Nice display Karl.
I'm slowly moving my finished models to my summer place in Michigan...The case is an old china cabinet I picked up second hand.

What a great cabinet. Something that I'll have to consider one day if the ones I've done so far don't remain hidden behind solid doors.

Roger that. Making your own can be more cost effective, though the glass work, if done at a custom shop, can be expensive.

I too am in need of cabinets. Saw one at IKEA once that seemed nice but put the thought away for the future and never got back to it. Like Glenn, I think glass doors are a must for me and I'd build my own if it weren't for an ever growing list of higher priority projects that need to be done around my house.

Thats where I bought mine for $99. Love it.

Yep, the Ikea cabinets, and the two sizes from 'Argos' in the UK (same as many other outlets, the cabinet itself being made in Germany) are ideal for up to medium-sized 1/48th scale, and most (but not all) 1/32nd scale 'fighter-size' models, and are a reasonable price, especially if you shop around.
Ikea also do a 'Billie' glass door bookcase, shown below, which is not quite as deep as the one from 'Argos' I mentioned earlier, but of similar design. It's something like this that I'll have built, but with an internal depth of around 16 inches.

Attachments

• Billie bookcase.JPG
    Billie bookcase.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 114
Got to plan what sizes to have, as the room they'll be going in is a really awkward layout. They'll have to fit with an existing bookcase and display cabinet, but due to angles, dimensions and a huge radiator in a bl**dy stupid place which restricts positioning, light switches and a staircase at one end, and a doorway at the other end, it's going to be a headache sorting things!

Haha! You've got a lot to think about there. It's probably the moment when you wish you had underfloor heating, er...auto lighting, no angles and outer wall stone stairs.

Would have been much easier in the 300 year old cottage where ex-wife still lives! Huge lounge, wide and long hall, all 'regular' shapes, and a 22 feet by eight feet enclosed balcony, overhanging the river - could fit half a dozen cabinets in, and they'd hardly be noticed!
I think I've sussed it now though, for sizes and locations - just need to see my mate and ask him what the damage will be (to my wallet!).

The Argos double door glass cabinet is OK old chap,the one with 7 glass shelves, especially when they have offers on. Internal dimensions are approximately 22 x 11.5 inches, so fine for 1/48th scale up to around Mosquito or Bf110 size, and a Boston will just fit in, at an angle.and 1/32nd scale up to about Spitfire and Mustang size, with two per shelf - anything larger won't fit. The 1/32nd scale Hunter, for example, will fit end to end, but there's not enough depth to accommodate the wingspan, even if angled slightly.
The smaller, single door cabinet is half the width, same depth, but more than half the price of the 2-door cabinets.

My 2 cribs. Assembly, brush paint and decal room and airbrush room down in the bunker,it still has Adolph loves Eva on the wall:lol:

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    399 KB · Views: 120
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    687.9 KB · Views: 123
  • photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    599.8 KB · Views: 130
  • photo x.JPG
    photo x.JPG