Show Your Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's some of the basic tools I have.

There's not much left to add. It's been covered by everyone. If you really want to splash out once you've got stuck in and arty with those 50 kits then you could always reach for a punch and die set (Historex or Waldron) to really p*ss of the overseer (and yourself probably - not cheap). But you'll need an airbrush first to give that fine collection some justice. Hey - maybe you can cut out one of the bills; persuade the overseer to grab a spade and start a veggy patch in the garden to save on food. Say it's much healthier not to have central heating and buy some Eskimo furs. No... hold on...on second thoughts... it's not gonna work.

You'll have to orchestrate a delivery day for the (double action) airbrush for a day when only you're in the house - either that or have it delivered elsewhere for a pick up. Buy one more kit and say it came with it? The question is though - which one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice little collection Karl, going to need a few boxes to pack that little lot when you move.

Nice display Karl.
I'm slowly moving my finished models to my summer place in Michigan (For some reason my wife doesn't like the 20 shelves full of models in the bedroom) This is about 20% of the ones I have to display. The case is an old china cabinet I picked up second hand. It will take a lot of them but not nearly all so I'll be building a case in the basement also.

Attachments

• P5109663.JPG
    P5109663.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 135
It sure is!
I've been searching all over for decent display cabinets. I've got one which is nice, and does the job, but it's not deep enough for some of the larger 1/48th scale models, or anything above Spitfire size in 1/32nd scale. I've found glass-door book cases deep enough, and some second-hand cabinets deep enough and wide enough, but they either have too few, fixed shelves, or cost a small fortune, so I'm looking at getting a couple custom-made by a friend who's a carpenter.

Love that display case Glenn - hoping to one day get one myself if I ever get more established anywhere! (Sure can't carry it in hold luggage! :) )

Terry - sounds like the best bet mate, that way you get one to the design that you want.

It's about one foot deep which is big enough for most of the collection, but some of the larger ones won't fit. Years ago I came across a bunch of cut off pieces of tempered glass from a shower door manufacturer. They are about 5 foot long and 8 inches wide, My plan is to build a wall mounted cabinet in the basement to fit the glass shelves using them two wide to give me a 16 inch shelf that should take about anything I build. The hardest part will be making the glass doors. I figure to make a thin wood frame to hold the glass. Must keep the dust out! right now most of my collection is sitting on un-inclosed shelves and the dust is terrible.

I think you're right Evan. The glass cabinets I have already look the part, but they're a touch flimsy, and rattle if moved. One is 23 inches wide, the other approximately 13 inches wide, both with an internal depth of approximately 11 inches.
Like Glenn, I figure an internal depth of 16 inches will do the job, without 'intruding' too much on the room they'll be in. This should allow larger 1/48th scale models, such as the B-25 and B-26, maybe even the B-17 if it's not on a display base, as well as 1/32nd scale models such as the Hunter and Tornado, and future builds, which won't fit the existing cabinets.
I reckon one around 36 x 16 inches, and another around 24 x 16 inches should do for now, and, with a bit of luck, they might cost less for both than it would for one 'shop bought' item.

Dead right! A couple of weeks ago, there was a suitable glass door book case on offer at 'Argos', for around £125 - about what it was worth, as it's oak veneer and thin ply veneer at that - but it's now back at the original price of - wait for it - £499.99 !!!!
Come on - even Dick Turpin wore a mask!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back