Tiger I. Kursk Armor Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No probs Glenn. I checked some pics and it seems it's right, but there were some changes at differing production dates, hence my uncertainty.

Thanks guys!
After a lot of trial and error I made up some clevis shackles out of stretched sprue and installed them. Also did some more grass, but I'm sure you guys are tired of looking at more grass. I'll save it until it's finished.

You gotta be kiddin' me. That's brilliant, that is.

No problem Terry, You're keeping me on my toes! I fabricated the 6 'S' mine dischargers last night from fine tubing from an insulin pump (There are some advantages to being married to a nurse) and painted and applied a dark wash to them and the shackles but didn't take any pictures. Also added more grass (an ongoing and tedious proses), and 2 strips of matted down grass to replicate the passing of another Tiger (thanks for the Idea Lewis!) I'll try to take more pictures tonight.

Wayne, you are dead right - it's a bl**dy minefield !
Sounds good Glenn, look forward to the pics.
I reckon it's time Jan gave us an update, with pics of course, of the Judies in his local pub.........

P7262336.JPG
P7262337.JPG
Quick picture update now that my camera battery is charged. The 'S' mine dischargers, and the grass as it stands today. I'm only getting about 1 sq inch in a night so it will be several more days before it's done.

Last edited:
That's looking tops Glenn ! If you want to make the planting a little easier, make the tuft bunches 'linear'. That is, lay groups in a line, like comb, or pasting brush, held by their 'roots' on a piece of tape. Then glue the line of bunches together, along the tape, and lay another line on top, and glue this. If each line has a thin thread around its base, the glue will set on this, and you'll end up with a fairly robust strip of what appears to be a stand of thick, long grass. The excess tape can be trimmed off.
Scrape grooves into the base, a few millimetres apart, and plant each line, filling the groove with PVA, which will hold the grass, and fill the depression, and this can be sprinkled with ground cover before it's fully set.
Three or four of these lines, positioned as required to make patches of long grass, will, at first, look regimented, like a ploughed field with crops growing. But, once set, brush the tufts this way and that, and they'll spread out, interlocking, and appear to be thicker and natural.

Glenn are you going to install the 3 dischargers on the front edge of the turret either side ? ...a total of 6. common occurrence on early Tiger I's.

slow and easy man

Glenn are you going to install the 3 dischargers on the front edge of the turret either side ? ...a total of 6. common occurrence on early Tiger I's.

slow and easy man

From what Terry said, most of the Tigers had the smoke dischargers removed before Kursk. I actually gave it a shot making them out of the same small tubing I used to make the 'S' mine dischargers and thin plastic card. It took me over an hour to make up one set of three that I wasn't totally satisfied with, then when I attempted to install it, it went flying out of the tweezer never to be seen again. That's when I decided that my Tiger would be one of the ones that had the smoke dischargers removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back