What Cheered You Up Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Let me see, it looks like after 6 months I will start a new job next week. It is an hour drive to work and less than I was geting but it is work. And I ordered the monster B25J in 1:32 scale, lets see how many years it takes to finish it. I was also able to order the markings for my great uncle's Bomber Squadron in WWII. I would like to get the plane finished by my father's birthday next March. I hope to get help from the experts on line. I am buying the first round tonight if any one cares to join me.

DBII

Good to hear DB!

Today, as a requirement to graduate for my Bachelor's, I defended my Senior Thesis(research into the Battle of Singapore). I had a prior rehearsal with my thesis advisor, and prepared accordingly. Without gloating too much, I delivered a bang up job, enough that I had a toast with my professor.

Finally finished re-flooring my bedroom. After two months of sleeping on my camp cot I finally went out and bought a new mattress and box spring. I may have went a little too firm on the mattress though, hopefully it loosen up a bit.

I visited my parents today, dad wanted to go get some flowerpots for his cactus collection.
We had a nice trip, the weather was great, the sun was shining, and we ogled flowers together big time.
Later, I borrowed my folks' car and went shopping, and on the way back to my parents with the car, I stopped at home to pick up my electric guitar.
Dad had said when we got to their place after the flowerpot-shopping-trip, that he would've loved to see my Fender guitar, but he felt tired and thought that he could do it another day.
Well - I picked up the guitar, stuffed it in the gigbag and brought it to my parent's place, where I showed it to Dad.
He was amazed at how heavy the guitar actually is, and then he started asking about the electronics in it. I explained to him how it works - heh, that's his old electronics interest rearing its head again - and I just totally love the fact that he's still curious about all sorts of things, even at the age of 86.
You rock, Dad!
Plus he admired the black paint job, the high gloss lacquer and the pearly white pickguard on the thing, and he compared it to a Grand Piano or a venetian gondola - and yes, the painters at the factory have done a very fine job, making the guitar look great.
I played The Beatles' "Blackbird" for my folks, they even liked it. *proud grin*
Later we had roasted duck for dinner, and relaxed in front of the tv afterwards.
All in all a totally nice day.

Last edited:
Started 6 week a "Biggest Looser" contest at work this past Monday. Today was the first weigh in, lost a total of 6 pounds since Monday! I was suprised as I figured maybe to have lost around 3. Not sure If I can keep the pace up though. Half hour walks at lunch, then a fast paced hike in the woods for 1.5 hours after work every night. My legs ache today, going to pace myself a little more with lighter work outs every other day.

I bought an old Junghans wall clock yesterday, not knowing whether or not it worked.
I only paid 200 DKK for it (34 USD/21£), so I figured that if it needed repairs, I could afford it.
The most amazing thing in my eyes was that the key for winding up the clockwork was still there.
It was dirty and dusty, and the brass thingies needed a loving hand as you can see:

Well - at least I could do something about the dirt and stuff, so I did.

After a thorough clean-up and polishing, it ended up looking like this:

I then hung it in my little hallway instead of the usual mirror to see if the thing would actually work.
It took quite a bit of adjustment to make it run properly; the pendulum has to be timed so that the tick-tock sound completely even, that way the clock will run as it should.
After a few tries, I got the pendulum to run well, and - ta-daaaaaaaaa!
The clock works just fine.
And I totally love the very quiet, soft tick-tock sound that it's got, it is really nice.
I'd say that it's almost a cosy sound.
The clock only loses 3-4 minutes for every 24 hours, and I'd say that it's definitely acceptable for such an old clock.
Now all I need is to find a glazier that can put in a small piece of thin glass in front of the clock face, that's all the fixing it needs.
And that ought to be affordable.

Edit: Hmmm, if I move the pendulum up on the rods it's attached to, it ought to gain a few minutes, since the distance it has to swing is shorter, thus making the clock go a little faster...*thinks*...that's worth a try.

Apart from that, another of my local thrift shops had a brand new guitar tuner/digital metronome for sale, 10 DKK! (- that's a little under 2 USD) Whoohoo, snatch!
Then I've got a tuner for my acoustic guitar as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread