What Cheered You Up Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Occasionally having my daydreams, I more often than not, appreciate and think myself very lucky, for having the father and mother that I have, the family and friends that I've been blessed with...where you all on this forum belong!

Just got an email today from the Traffic Authority's board of appeals, because I appealed a fine I got at the Copenhagen Metro in december last year.

I did have a valid travel card at the time, the prob was I had accidentally left it at home.
So I got a fine of 110 DKK. Okay, fair enough, I paid it as I should, and thought that the whole thing was over and done with. HAH!

The Copenhagen Metro Company then kept sending me payment orders to pay a full fine of 750 DKK. (That's 125 US$)
Hmmmmmmm! That's when I complained.
I then sent copies of the original fine plus a scanned copy of the receipt for my valid travel card, plus a scan of the card itself.

And now the Traffic Authority's board of appeals - that I complained to - have whacked the Metro Company back into place, saying that I've already paid the Metro Company what I ought to, and that the Metro Company's sending me more fines is wrong.

Eat THAT, Metro Company!

Scope I've been eyeing to put on the new .22 rifle (Browning T-bolt) has finally got a $30 rebate on it. That plus the 10% members discount card I just got in the mail from Cabela's should bring the price down pretty nicely. Now I just hope they have one in stock when I get there after work tonight. Look out Squirrels!!!

Got a pleasant surprise today. I had submitted a letter to the editor for my regions newspaper, regarding the Battle of Savo Island. Today, I got a phone call from an older gentleman. It turns out he was with the 5th Marines on Tulagi, and witnessed the fighting that morning. Also, he had a brother who was on the Vincennes, and met up with him later in Brisbane, Australia afterwards. He thanked me for remembering, and encouraged me to keep writing letters. It was very touching, and I am glad I was able to talk with him.

Here is the article in question.

Last edited:
Good stuff guys!

Good on ya Vassili/Austin!

The 1st Marine Division trained at Mackay's Crossing, the border of Raumati South and Paekakariki in New Zealand prior to heading for Guadalcanal, the camp now Queen Elizabeth II park. I lived in the area a couple of times.
Prior to leaving, they dug a huge pit, drove the jeeps round in circles till the engines seized and bulldozed them into the pit (there were fears of the equipment falling into enemy hands should the Japanese attack)
The Stuart tanks suffered a similar fate, as did a mass of ammunition, dumped in heaps, and demolished. Some mates used to pillage the still visible earth mounds for ammo, and I scored a heap of bullet heads that way myself, aswell as 5 complete 50 cal. rounds. Once heard of someone walking home with a 105 mm artillery round from there!
One of the Stuart tanks was located in a creek when I was last there (about '93 I think) and there were plans to restore and display it at the entrance to the park. No idea if that eventuated.
Interesting to note too that a main road near the entrance is called 'Jeep road'.

Thought this might be of interest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread