Worlds Greatest Guitarist...

The Worlds Greatest Guitarist...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pretty short list of players. Looks like a slant towards electric guitar though. And, the father of the electric guitar (Les Paul) was quite the shredder so you need to add him. Tommy Emmanuel on an acoustic would be a top contender. Chet Atkins needs to be there as well. Andre Segovia is another. There must be 1000 Flamenco and Classical guitarists who'd top the current list too so may I humbly suggest changing the title to Greatest Rock Guitarists?

When the thread was started, there were only so many poll options you could have. It was based off of the thread starters opinion.

If you think you can make a better poll, feel free to do so. ;)

When the thread was started, there were only so many poll options you could have. It was based off of the thread starters opinion.

If you think you can make a better poll, feel free to do so. ;)

Better poll? Nope. But the list, aside from Phil Keaggy, pretty much covers the big names in rock. No big deal. I'm a literalist and took the title to mean what it says. That said, there are quite a few guitarists who are tops in there chosen genres that would make such a list expansive so I suggested changing the name to greatest rock guitarists. Seemed logical at the time. Maybe not.

I've mentioned Chet Atkinss a few pages back. He's a fantastic player technique wise.

I think I also mentioned Emmanuel. Wonderful example of finger picking, I've seen his brother live he's just as good!

Or rather 'World's Greatest Contemporary Guitarist'

Paco Pena is definately a contender for the list too.

Kinda curious how Les Paul is a shredder? Considering the genre came way after his time as such.

I'd be tempted to credit Zappa and Hendrix with the foundings of the great electric guitar playing we've seen in the past 35-40years.

I feel I can only speak from experience with live performances, so that limits me somewhat.

Of the listed players I have seen Clapton in 1991, George Thorogood in 1983 and Stevie-Ray Vaughan.
Clapton played at a venue over a covered over swimming pool and sounded crap.
Thorogood was good but a bit loud, especially the sax
I saw SRVaughan at the Melbourne Arts Centre with the best acoustics i have ever heard. I would describe that night as magic!

Buck Dharma (not listed) and Iommi tied for first. My taste and choice is in hard rock/metal, granting skill in other music areas though they do nothing for me. Example, give BB King a 5 star, just not my taste. But saw him live as appreciate in an type area he is best of a generation (or 2).

Heard the rest on the list and seen more than half, none close for creative influence (Iommi for metal obvious) or intricate diversity and speed if needed (Dharma). Both having unique sounds, a trait I always liked in a guitar player than many on the list lack. Having seen both more than once in the past year, both still extreme in concert. And in any technical/skill based player poll I've ever seen compiled by players or fellow musicians.

Angus Young underappreciated by many unless seen live as his music put down as "all the same." Saw him this year, he still "has it."

Blackmore I liked better live with Rainbow than with DP, though out of the game for years. Able to play but don't a factor for me, the ancient junk he plays now is to "out" of any current music. But admit my "physical and mental" condition at both DP concerts I saw with him was probably less than stable enough to fully appreciate.

Gilmour like Iommi and Dharma, a catagory of 1 and at the NY concert of "The Wall" made me appreciate him far more than earlier concerts. Like Dharma and Iommi, he continued to advance and progress to those who can hear it.

Page live varied way to much for me, saw him from great (with LZ) to bad enough I left half way through a show (both solo and with LZ).

Dimebag seems to be a great to all after killed, didn't impress me at all live. Some on the list fine for kids who are MTV trained and bred only, such as Slash. Wylde the most repeating and zero diversity person on the list I saw live. Must work cheap as only reason I can guess he's played with Ozzy so long.

3 missing from my Top 10 based on hearing, technical appreciation, and seeing live:

Phil Campbell. Just saw a mixed DVD yesterday of Brian May talking about him and how difficult is was trying to keep up and play beside him what most call "simple" music. Saw him last year with Priest and Heaven and Hell, still smile thinking about it.

Chris Olivia. Live blew most on the list away though sadly he's gone. Proof of ability obvious to fans of the band, and can be heard now on "Ghost in the Ruins" that thank God was saved. Attended 1 of the shows on the CD, one of the 3 best concerts I've ever been to. Wish quality video survived.

Also Ronnie Montrose, liking his earlier stuff better though his skills obvious even with his later material outside my taste. His debut with Sammy (much as I hate him) on any Top 20 all time Hard Rock CD list.

But I'll listen to ANYONE on the choices list before I'll put up with 10 seconds of Rap noise. Rather stick a nail in my ear.

Angus Young underappreciated by many unless seen live as his music put down as "all the same." Saw him this year, he still "has it."

Yes he does! I saw him again twice this year including a few weeks ago, and he really put on a great show!

Yerger said:
Dimebag seems to be a great to all after killed, didn't impress me at all live.

It has nothing to do with him becoming great after he died. He was a great guitarist. I saw him several times with Pantera back in the 90s and he was a great live metal guitarist. Would I say he was the greatest? Nope, not even in the metal genre (which by the way is my favorite genre of music), but he had passion, talent and skill.

I may be alittle jaded as when going over the list, I find too much to nit-pick. Jimmy Page was great but sloppy and a much better engineer, Angus was fantastic but taken in context as a metal/blues guitartist. So many others are good within the genre of the music they suppllied but I'm finding it hard to pick a greatest. Randy Rhodes is close as his fusion of Classical music with heavy metal was great as was Jimi's work. Just difficult.

As for technique and skill, I would pick Stanley Jordan as a great guitartist along with Steve Howe.

Can I add

Donald Roeser - Blue Oyster Cult
Gary Moore - Thin Lizzy
Bryan Robertson - Thin Lizzy

is it fashionable to say Mark Knopfler? :)

I may be alittle jaded as when going over the list, I find too much to nit-pick. Jimmy Page was great but sloppy and a much better engineer, .

Ah it needs to be heard that Jimmy Page improvised almost eveerything he played so given that he was just going with it at the moment. Given that he was playing a variaty of ideas ie it wasn't all blues based solos I think theres more to him than many realise.

As for additions Steve Morse is actually fast becoming one of my favourite guitarists. His scope and range of work is rather staggering.

Cheers.

I voted for Zappa hands down in this list.

However there are number of heavyweights you failed to mention like Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Steve Hackett, Alan Holdsworth ..... I could go on..... Robert Fripp ....Steve Howe......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back