1/48 Arii supermarine spitfire LF MKVIII A58-517 Hava-go-jo Morotai early 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is another interesting detail for the UPoF Spitfire. According to the next picture I found in the Kookaburra booklet there was a white "F" letter with black outline painted on the front area of the fuselage just below of the spinner. If you eye more carefully it appears it was there really.

Spitfire MkVIII UP_F A58-517_RAAF_79 Sqd_2.jpg

Evan amazing as always, thaaaaaanks.
I had fun with this conversation / discursion been entretenidisima truth to that I liked a lot of power and revatir devatir each viewpoint, you're great.
effectively UP + F, had an F in the lower engine cowl edged in black and blue color sky forever.
What I do see is that both the upper wing and fuselage both sides were on the other liveries I read that serious green foliage green.
I wanted to paint the liveries also because the end result is better and so handy for when I do the hinomarus hinomarus that are not only those who paint, so as I have seen that almost everyone agrees not if the fs 15044 or fs15048 Fs15050 also said that, to the human eye and my fs15050 fs15048 colors are too dark, or perhaps the primerdia early flight after being painted but could be used for an aircraft already flying hours would paint with 15 044 fs and that is what I have in Gunze ......

Great stuff everyone (love these team efforts), and thanks Wojtku and Sergio for the confirmation of the small F under the nose!

Have no idea myself re the upper wing and rear fuselage retouch colours, have read various versions. Think you've got the right idea though doing what looks good to you! :)

(clashed with Wojtku... lower cowl colour seems to be wraparound camo from the nose upper to me, as shown in all side views I've seen.)

Last edited:
(clashed with Wojtku... lower cowl colour seems to be wraparound camo from the nose upper to me, as shown in all side views I've seen.)

You might be right Evan. In the case the "F" letter could be left of the Blue sky or the Medium Sea Grey colour and just the black contour added. However it can be seen in a few other images of the RAAF Spits that the demarcation line just was moved farther down beyond the line between the bottom part of the engine cowling and side panels making a very thin strip of the underside colour there.

raaf_145.jpg

Spitfire MkVIII UP_S A58-505_RAAF_79 Sqn.jpg

But sometimes it was either a little bit done or wrapped the area entirely.

raaf_144.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos Wojtku! (Hmmm, the plot thickens! :) )

In your original nose shot of the small 'F', the intake appears lighter. Could this just be a trick of the light, or is it possible a thin strip of the lower colour was left as in the first pic above?
Going to check all my sources again on this, as those read and profiles seen to date show/ mention complete wraparound camo up to the leading edge of the wing.

Btw, a couple of other interesting points to consider Sergio - apart from the question of what the correct upper colours were, this from an article in 'Military Aircraft Monthly' Vol.8 Iss.9 (september 2009):
'According to colour film of 79 squadron on Morotai the spinner was most likely blue, not green as has been stated before'

Same article has a close up photo of the nose art and codes too - codes have a thin black outlines not present on any decals I've seen for her yet! (will post pics when light better)

Also, the elephant - grey on those decals you posted - should be pink!
(I'm curious why they are 1:32 aswell - your Spitty's 1:48 isn't she?)

Evan

To answer your questions Evan... it is very difficult to say if the air intake is lighter or if it is trick of the light. It seems that the intake had the top camo colours at sides too. It is possible because we can notice a similar way of painting of the area of Spitfire Mk.Vc of the squadron, for instance. Looking at the picture of the UP-F taken from side I would say it was of the camo colour. However look at the enlarged shot of the front area of the plane below. It seems that there is a lighter colour covering the "chin" of the engine cowling and following its curve up to the spinner. Can you see?

Spitfire MkVIII UP_F _1.jpg

However the image of the plane taken from the front doesn't confirm that. Actually the scan is quite shadowy at the area and I made it brighter ( the second pic below ). While the F letter there can be noticed quite clearly now, the lighter strip of the underside paint didn't appear at all. It means that the colour there might have been darker than the one used for the F letter painting. But taking luminous conditions during a sunny day into consideration we know that even the white one can seems to be black.

Spitfire MkVIII UP_F A58-517_RAAF_79 Sqd_1a.jpg

Spitfire MkVIII UP_F A58-517_RAAF_79 Sqd_1.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting my friend - the top shot does seem to have a lighter strip...

Does anyone have access to the colour footage I mentioned in my last post? Might help clear this mystery up.

(Fantstic pics btw Wojtku!)

Btw, a couple of other interesting points to consider Sergio - apart from the question of what the correct upper colours were, this from an article in 'Military Aircraft Monthly' Vol.8 Iss.9 (september 2009):
'According to colour film of 79 squadron on Morotai the spinner was most likely blue, not green as has been stated before'

Same article has a close up photo of the nose art and codes too - codes have a thin black outlines not present on any decals I've seen for her yet! (will post pics when light better)

Also, the elephant - grey on those decals you posted - should be pink!
(I'm curious why they are 1:32 aswell - your Spitty's 1:48 isn't she?)

Evan

my friend the decals is easy to explain as the Kagero book comes three scales (1/72, 1/48 and 1/32) is easier to place the largest, is more.

Internet shop

Ah, I see! That's a great selection of markings too! (wonder why they missed out ZP-Q though, which features in the profiles?)

I don't see a pink elephant either - let me know if you need mine! (1:48 Aeromaster)

Couple of pics too from the 'Military aircraft Monthly' magazine I mentioned:

STA51303.JPG

STA51302.JPG

Hi everyone, greetings from Melbourne, Australia. The colour of the elephant on this aircraft has been debated for a long time. As I understand it, Norm Smithells (the pilot of the aircraft) told a well-known RAAF researcher that the elephant was definitely grey, not pink. Roy Sutherland, who produces the highly regarded line of Barracudacals, released a decal sheet (BC32008) that reflects the latest research on this aircraft's colour scheme - Roy's research led him to produce the sheet with a grey elephant. HTH.

Cheers,

Wayne

with wayne (little)..... and wayne kohlmann are welcome to the forum and great contribution

Photo I'm seeing and I are setting up a program sought unlicensed free soft something like photoshop more intuitive so I could handle that can more or less get the color of a black and white photo of 5 tests four have come in blue, more or less similar to the scheme put in your brochure barracuda, (and eyeing them an eye over the decals).
by the time the spinner is what I care about the color, because the elephant is certain is gray and the decals that I have it, thanks friend Evan, it's great that from more than 22,000 km away're offering me a decal ........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back