1/48 Arii supermarine spitfire LF MKVIII A58-517 Hava-go-jo Morotai early 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks hope to do something this weekend I jsto some time and I can not do anything, so this is the first obligation and then devotion.

going with more advances, identifications have painted white with wear I wanted, because I still have the explanation here apply another technique that surely will know but I guess someone did not know it.
wear and erosion, this kind of wear can be done two ways with hair spray or with very fine sandpaper, the more exaggerated priimera to wear is very high and the second is lighter.

But not anticipate more things we will step by step.

the first thing is to put the salt (as in the previous step), once the mask dries, it becomes not to soil's take painting and job loss.
after this occurs is painted white layer must be uniform but very lightly.

IMG_0922_zpsbd324e13.jpg

IMG_0923_zps16ada57a.jpg

IMG_0924_zps1f076af3.jpg

IMG_0925_zps438bcffc.jpg

IMG_0926_zpse67b0cf6.jpg

IMG_0927_zpse044a7b9.jpg

Once the paint dries hard brush removes salt

IMG_0928_zps4974fd90.jpg

IMG_0929_zps72e25a08.jpg

Once we removed the salt with the Spanish "cascarillado" of painting, I think in English is scrab painting, can be done with products such as AK-interactive, mig productions or other brands, but it is still a lacquer soluble or the like, for women this all have to spend at home hair spray, but this effect would be very laborious to give an appearance of wear but not too high, this technique is simple to apply, especially those using tamiya such as orange peel makes ...
use is very wearing sandpaper to give light strokes with no pressure on the target so that the color looks down on others and others who see white and color below, you get a water effect painting.

IMG_0930_zps5c719b0c.jpg

IMG_0931_zps7b5e0482.jpg

between the previous and this can be seen the effect of water has been accomplished in the queue from a top angle is nearly white and from a front or bottom corner is more green

IMG_0934_zps74557ff1.jpg

the bottom is the same technique gives a uniform color is closer but the paint is worn, although I have no photos of this area I run out of battery in the camera before you can do photos, I put them tomorrow

an image gives the top

IMG_0933_zpseafe45a4.jpg

tomorrow more pics.

Very nice Sergio!

If I may suggest something, I would restrict the scratching around the gun panels a little. Mechanics slip with the screw driver now and again, and paint chips where panels are regularly removed and replaced, but not in such a wide area.

A question too: were only the elevators painted white? I thought the entire tailplanes were painted over.

According to the instruction of the CMR resin set for Spitfire, the stab was covered with the white partially only. It looks like peeling.....

CMR_Spitfire_MkVIII_1_02.jpg

thanks mates

evan more I answer the first question without actually has a pretty big paint wear and sites that apparently is too much, but with you photo below (the scanee to place), which is taken as reference, has this wear and is as I did, whether it was so or not I can not say as I've only used this image to guide the work no more peek into the di for good, is the Kagero book, topcolors No. 18.

HAVA-GO-JO004_zps998d0b6e.jpg

the second photo idem as appreciate in the picture was also painted

wojtek thanks, we already have a very good discussion ........ raised, such as? entirely in white, half through attrition or otherwise only elevators were painted? allowed bets, hahahahahaha,

andy photo is worth the time you can not see from above, even using the same photo so I have expanded and may be in the words wotjek or as I say but can be as Evan says, you get the drift

mt594-1_zps3ca354f7.jpg

at least the leading edge of the horizontal plane is the base color of camouflage, it might be due to the loss of paint or neither were to be not very explanatory but it is a great effort and helps encourage more the discursion, as I said in a very bad Groucho Marx Castilian (spanish) translation "more wood, more wood to the hip"

Last edited:
I have gone through a few books for Spitfires and found the same but larger picture in Kookaburra old booklet no.6 - Spitfire Markings of the RAAF Vol.2 .

Here you are....

Spitfire Mk VIII UP_F.jpg

Also I have enlarged the tail area a little bit and I must admit I'm not sure if the tail was painted white partially. Judging by the colour at leading edge of the stabilizer and its undersides I would say it was white entirely. However it seems that the white paint at the leading edge was a little bit "seedy". But it looks rather the same like the effect at the leading edge of the fin. It might have been the result of shoddy painting or the weathering. Anyway I'm leaning toward the idea of white overall with the "heavy" weathering though.

Spitfire Mk VIII UP_F_white tail.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. Sometimes you have to try to get into the crew's head space and ask why would they paint everything on the tail but leave the top of the horizontal tail plane, except for the elevators, in the base camo? I gotta think it was painted completely white and that the leading edges have worn off to base colours.

I can not agree more but also have more conversation hahahaha, all pictures and planes I've seen with white tail were painted white whole, does not have to be there let the illustrations excepcion.Aunque Kagero and I'm almost convinced it so is very attractive

Good info guys!

Yep, it was my understanding that the whole tail area was painted white, hence my comment. A distemper paint was used (IIRC), which was very prone to wear, hence the well worn areas on '517.

Great Britain's Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII fighter bomber - World War II Vehicles, Tanks, and Airplanes

And since checking references, refound this pic! Looks to me she had been painted overall white, but the paint has been washed back almost to the elevators. If so, everyone's right! :) (photo: Greg Meggs, via Tasman 1:72 Spit Mk.VIII instructions)

STA51267.JPG

Last edited:
Bingo ! Well done Evan. :thumbright:

Looking at the picture we can notice that the stab top was painted partially only. And it got the overspray fog mostly. Please look at the stabilizer root and trailing adge where the elevator starts. Undoubtedly there is more of the white and the effect of overspraying is noticeable. It is clearly seen that the leading edge and side were white. So it means that there was the white on undersides. It is evident that the painter's work was very neglectful or just not too much of the white colour he had. The weathering effect isn't too considerable as I had been thinking before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back