1/72 Sm 82 Marsupiale; 205 Sq, 12 Stormo B.T.; Gadurra, Rhodes, 1940 MTO Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kgambit

Tech Sergeant
May 29, 2006
North Carolina
Username: kgambit (Dwight)
Category 2/Intermediate
Model: Sm 82 Marsupiale
Scale: 1:72
Kit by Italeri

Decided to do a third kit for the MTO Group build. This one is Italeri's new SM 82 Marsupiale.

italeri1270reviewbg_3.jpg

I'm still a bit undecided on color scheme. It will either be the first pic in this set..
205 Sq, 12 Stormo B.T.; Gadurra, Rhodes, 1940 (straight off the box art)

ITA1270_2_640.jpg

oir this one:

SM82-1.jpg

This is a big bird for 1/72 scale. Here's a shot of the Sm 82 in front of a Sm 79 (behind to the left) and Sm 81 (behind to the right) both in Spanish Civil War markings

IMG_0113.jpg

I've been working on this all weekend. Shots of the ordinance, landing gear bays, and parts of the cockpit

IMG_0114.jpg

Close up of the landing gear assembly - dry fitted. Nice touch with the wheels showing weight loading. The wheels come in two pieces - those are assembled.

IMG_0117.jpg

Lots of nice detail on the interior of the fuselage. Should finish up nicely. Italeri did a nice job with the kit, EXCEPT for the engine cowlings. There's going to be some putty needed there for sure, but everything else fits like a glove. :D A few more locator pins would NOT have been amiss however. :lol:

The kit also comes with it's own research pamphlet which includes a walkthrough! THAT's a nice touch! :D

Last edited:
Excellent choice!! I cannot wait to see what you do to this one.

This is going to be a straight OOB build. :D No PE except possibly some Italian seat belts IF I can find them.

I had to do at least ONE Italian plane in the MTO build. :D

Nice one Dwight! It is a big beastie isn't it? Looks like a very nice kit too, and I like your choice of colour scheme - similar to a German Panther!

Dude

I was just looking at this very kit no more then 1 1/2 hours ago. It was staked on top of the Italeri
C-47 I want to get.

It has some nice detail in it, and good part fit except for the eingine cowlings. Should go together real well.

Nice one Dwight! It is a big beastie isn't it? Looks like a very nice kit too, and I like your choice of colour scheme - similar to a German Panther!

Yeah it's a big mother all right. Looks like a SM 79 with a glandular disorder. :lol:

I wanted to do a different color scheme than the usual green on sand mottle. :D

Interior is all airbrushed - along with everything that gets done in Italian anit-corrosion green. Those Lifecolor paints are a dream to work with. :D
The rear wings and all of the flaps are assembled - still debating whether to do this flaps up or flaps down.
Starting on the wheel wells. :D

Last edited:
It has some nice detail in it, and good part fit except for the eingine cowlings. Should go together real well.

Yeah it's a big mother all right. Looks like a SM 79 with a glandular disorder. :lol:

I wanted to do a different color scheme than the usual green on sand mottle. :D

Interior is all airbrushed - along with everything that gets done in Italian anit-corosrion green. Those Lifecolor paints are a dream to work with. :D

:lol:

I love Italian Tri-motor aircraft :D

There is a lot of nice detail in the cockpit, and there's an option for a topside open canopy hatch that will actually let you see most of it. I'm still working on finishing the cockpit interior and highlighting details.

The interior actually consists of 9 main pieces including a cockpit floor, rear cockpit bulkhead, a bomb bay door with flooring on the reverse side, an upper deck, two lower floor decks, two interior bulkheads and a ladder leading from the first floor to the second floor decking that ALL have to be fitted together before the fuselage is sealed up. And that doesn't count the seats, seat frames, control yolks, 2 sets of throttle and trim levers, rudder pedals, forward instrument panel, overhead instrument panel, radio station, support columns and a small platform that all get added to the cockpit. It's a gorgeous cockpit with some great detail.

Trying to figure out to best handle the 26 windows on this bird! Terry had a suggestion for using liquid mask that I am considering. The windows are small and masking them individually would be a tedious task.

There are a couple of small gaps around the main canopy - fuselage joint, but nothing extreme. There is also a minor fit issue with the rear wheel assembly - that simply required a bit of sanding and filing to get it to line up. The only major problem is with the engine cowling fit to the wings that I am still working out how best to address but that's the ONLY serious issue with the kit.

Aside from the fit issues, one of the kit parts - a bomb bay door brace - was broken and half of the part was lost. I had to fabricate a replacement for that.

Lots of pictures coming soon. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back