10 days to Group Build #16

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was going 1/48 ... i think a 1/72 rata might be too small for my old eyes and large fingers lol

Seen the spanish civil war double pack about for £30 to £40 which seems a lot to me for a tiny kit ...

Very kind of you to offer though ...

I'm in.

Got my Accurate Miniatures F3F-2 kit, now I wonder if there is a big F3F-3 prop available somewhere, or would it make a difference?

VF-5 was fully outfitted with the 3 model on the CV-5 Yorktown in 1938. I've found an ensign, F.T.Moore, who became, at the rank of Capt., CO of Air Group 35, Air Training Pensacola, USS Suribachi (AE-21) and USS Saratoga (CV-60). Took part in the Battle of Tarawa, Marians, Guam, Leyte Gulf and served in Korea. Served at the Pentagon. Retired June 1969, died of a heart attack Oct 1969. Burried at Pensacola.

Don't know how I can find his planes markings?

I sailor on.

He flew with VF-5 and he was an Ensign, that narrows it down. Odds are he would have been a number "three" in one of the three plane elements, so we have 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, or 18 for the plane number. Third man in any section had the element color on the lower half of the cowling, second man, the top half and the element leader had the entire cowl painted. The first section, Red, was led by the C.O., The second, white, by the Communications officer. The third, blue, Operations officer. The fourth, black, the X.O. The fifth, green, Engineering officer. And the sixth, yellow, Gunnery officer.
As a junior officer new to the squadron it stands to reason that he would not be flying in either the C.O.'s or the X.O.'s section, so that cuts it down.
He later rose to command.
O.k., the path to command in the old Navy was usually Engineering, not always, but heavy to that side. It doesn't mean that he had to be assigned to the Engineering officers section, but, hey, why not?
I have been wrong before, but I'd lay money on #12.

Last edited:
Oh bl**dy deep fried, curry dipped, dog sphericals! Is this the one for '14-'39! I was going to jump this one!
Oh well, just need to get that P-26 and join later, still fiddling with the F4U-4..

Most honourable Mr. C, I, as many here love your wood, sorry, balsa builds, reminds me of the modeling industry started, before the plastic and they always impress me tremendously, because I know, trying to build like you do, I'd be in and out the hospital more often then a blind butcher taking a trip!

Would love to see you enter in this GB, but, in the end, it's yours choice! :thumbright:

He flew with VF-5 and he was an Ensign, ... As a junior officer new to the squadron it stands to reason that he would not be flying in either the C.O.'s or the X.O.'s section, so that cuts it down.
He later rose to command. O.k., the path to command in the old Navy was usually Engineering, not always, but heavy to that side. It doesn't mean that he had to be assigned to the Engineering officers section, but, hey, why not? I have been wrong before, but I'd lay money on #12.

Well, That was tooooo easy. Just the greatest lot of info I could have hoped for... I will look at his biography again and find what his initial training was... be right back...

From whitwickey..... pedia... He had a BA degree from Boston College. He joined the Navy and trained at Pensacola. "In September 1938, Ensign Frederick T. Moore, Jr. joined Fighting Squadron Five (VF-5) on board the USS Yorktown (CV-5) operating out of NAS North Island in San Diego, CA. Ensign Moore flew off the USS Yorktown from September 1938
thru September 1940. In May 1940, Frederick T. Moore, Jr. was promoted to Lieutenant. In October 1940, Lieutenant Moore was transferred back to NAS Pensacola as Executive Officer of the naval flight school."

So it looks like he flew in most every position. Could almost choose any color or position. But a number three of the Red group would put him in the most Jr. position, and for his final rank, That would be fitting. Ya think?

Thank you Paul!

Attachments

• VF-5 Ens Moore.jpg
    VF-5 Ens Moore.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 62
Sure, it is possible that the C.O. would take an Ensign in his flight, to teach him the ropes. Why not?
I will officially start my F3F-1 later this morning, see you then!

Hey Paul.... maybe you know....
The 3 model used a ten foot diameter Ham Std prop. What other plane would have used the same one??? So I can put one on the 2 to make a 3!

up in the loft for my tomorrow to get down my entry,as far as i can remember this is a vac form by contrail with 4-5 kits in the box

Paul I have searched and my old brain hurts from banging into dead ends. Here's hopin you can find something definite.

This GB is proving to have a great variety of planes, and such interesting shapes. I'm likin it.

I will be startig this one l if at all. its a very interesting topic, but time has been a real problem for me this last month, and it aint over yet.

I dont have anything readily available in the cupboard at the moment. I want to try my hand at stringing a biplane, which would be a real challenge for me, as I have never atempted one ever. I would really like to do a Fairey Seafox or similar I think if I can find one.....we will see.

If things go well with the Shrike and I have time, I have a Classic Airframes 1/48 F4B-4 I might give a go. It would go well with all the F3F's in the build

Last edited:
I have a question for the masses. Is GB #16 confined to only Military Aircraft, or any aircraft that falls between the
years specified ?? I'm considering entering an "Art Chester Racer" civilian aircraft. Chester built this racer for the 1933 air races in Calif.

BTW, this is a Comet model (they went out of business in 1987), and just happens to be the very first balsa model I built, when I was about 10.

Opinions are welcome...

Charles

Attachments

• 1030artchesterc8.jpg
    1030artchesterc8.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back