Another 'commission build' a 1/48th Avro Vulcan Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You can do both Jan. It depends how 'feathered' you want it etc. Vary the height from the mask to the surface, alter the spray nozzle, keep the brush close/further away and so on. For smaller scales, possibly even up to1/32nd scale, where the 'soft' edge was very fine, and even an airbrush won't replicate the effect, the easiest way is to mix the two colours 50/50. For example, Dark Green and Grey. Then, follow the line of the pattern, using a fine brush, 00 or maybe even 000, painting in the 'feathered' edge. Looks quite convincing old boy, what! Did it on the 1/32nd scale Spit IX conversion I posted in my selection of models a few weeks back, and I think on the Hurricane and Spit MkI. in the same post.

?? Care to show some close ups of the procedure, my good man? :D 8)

I once tried to use the blue tac method as Terry says but got into a mess when the paint touched the edge of the blue tac and made the blue tac melt ! i nearly smashed up my model in doing so :evil: my own way seems to be more accurate :shock:

Even doing ''free hand'' airbrushing gives a untrue scale of the feathered edge, some models i've seen in the past would look as if the grey/green feathered edge on a real plane would be 3 feet wide between the colours :oops:

I first of all mark out the cameo pattern on the paper in relation to the area where it is to go then cut it out at about 5mm wide.

Then i tape down the side which has NOT got to have the paint on, ensuring the paper template sits level to the surface to where your to spray.

Next picture is just to show how to lay the template/tape down, When you spray don't blast at it ! but do it evenly and at the same distance from airbrush to work, Don't point the airbrush so the paint blows directly to the side of the paper, but straight at it :rolleyes:

This is the sort of edge i get the edges are fairly clean and theres no clean up of the edges needed, well usually there isn't ! this shot is taken from the vulcan ! Oh by the way its done :lol:

thanks for looking guys 8)

Thanks for the lesson Ian, much appreciated! Hope to see it in action at some point....also to see the finished Vulcan!

Well guys,

Painted in the undercarriage bays,made up the undercarriage and fixed it all in, also attached carriage doors. it quite hard to align them up due to the big wings being in the way :evil:

I thought it was going to belly up as the front seemed very light and the rear was very heavy but it didn't and sits nice and level.

The finished job !

To give you an idea how big the vulcan is ! i've put one of my Trumpeter 1/48th wellington's to show how big this mighty delta is :mrgreen: onist it is 1/48th and not 1/72 !!

Thanks for looking guys and my next ''commision'' build is the airfix 1/48th F6 Lightning.

ian.

Bl**dy beautiful Vulcan Ian, bl**dy beautiful....! XH558, isn't it that one that's preserved and flying? What's next in line mate! What's idea with the camouflaged underside??

:oops: just saw the next inline project when this was posted and your second post popped up....:oops:

Unfortunately, Vulcan XH558 will now be grounded forever unless further funding of £1million is identified by early 2009. This funding will allow the project to pay its monthly expenses, clear debt and provide a stable financial footing for the future.

The '09 Pledge Campaign will raise those funds so please sign up (via the Pledge button) and play your part in securing the future of the world's only flying Vulcan. Your pledge will only be called upon when the £1million target is in sight.

Vulcan to the Sky Trust - Avro Vulcan Bomber XH558 - Vulcan To The Sky Trust

Well it is the same as what Ian as posted. Essentially the haven't enough funding :( Be nice to see it fly again but it is unlikely at this rate, perhaps it could be incorporated into the BBMF or similar.

OK, so which F***wit f****d up the original plan? Years of support, private donations, public funding, less than a year back on the display circuit and now this?!!!
Be great to see it under the control of, eg, BBMF, but, as they themselves were nearly 'chopped' a few years back, can't see our glorious leaders allowing MoD to add it to the budget!

It would be great to see her in the BBMF.

I hope something works out. ON a completely different note I just read in Aeroplane (we get it late) that India wants to start its own BBMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back