Avenger II, 857 Squadron, FAA, HMS Indomitable, December 1944, Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The razor saw Jan? My old, course one was knackered, so Matt very kindly, and generously, sent me one like Wojtek's. I'm now a 'Club Member'!
Thanks for the kind words guys.
Lucke, I'd thought about cutting the wings to have them folded, not a massive job, especially as Avengers normally had them folded until ready for launch. But I want the entrance hatch and cockpits to be visible, so the wings will be at full span.

Have you ever had one of those builds where you think 'Ah, b*ll*cks! This is going to end up like a dog's dinner!'?
Well, this one seems to be going that way.
First, I've experienced, yet again, the dreaded non-drying, should-be-matt-but-I'm-semi-gloss, Humbrol paint effect. The bl**dy Interior Green, mixed from two brand new tins, took ages to dry, and still felt a little tacky after about 30 hours. Then, it remained a cross between gloss, semi-gloss and matt, even though it was stirred thoroughly. I wish Hornby would get their bl**dy act together!
Anyway, I pressed on and, having done the mods to the centre cockpit, painted and assembled the main interior components. Then, whilst carrying out a test fit of the parts, I noticed an alarming warp between the wing spar, and the front of the combined floor/bomb bay, as shown in PIC 1.
More test-fitting indicated that I can expect some fit problems when I come to join the fuselage halves, and I only hope that the wings don't end up like Lucky's eyes after a night on the town - one up, one down!
The finesse of the scale mouldings on this Italeri, ex-Accurate Miniatures kit is exceptional, but I do feel that the location points for fitting leave a bit to be desired. Also, the instruction sheet diagrams are very short of the mark when it comes to clarity of where parts are actually supposed to locate. Thankfully, Wayne supplied me with copies of the original AM instruction sheet, which, although the diagrams are the same as the Italeri sheet, has written guide notes which are extremely good, and reminiscent of the old Airfix instructions.
The cockpit was assembled OOB, apart from the addition of a seat harness made from strips of paper, and the previously mentioned mods and observer's seat, and the progress is shown in PICS 2 to 6.
The instrument panel, centre console and rudder pedals are moulded as a single, clear part, and also incorporate the starboard electronics console, which has to be folded up, or cut off, to locate onto the electronics unit moulded as part of the side wall additions. I'm not really a fan of clear instrument panels, especially in the relatively small scale of 1/48th, but the part was designed to be used with the AM instrument decals, which are not included on the Italeri decal sheet. Personally, I don't think they would work very well anyway, being designed to be placed on the back of the panel, with the clear part acting as glass 'dials'. The plastic is rather thick and, having to paint around the very small area in between the dials would have been a nightmare. So, the whole lot was painted matt black, with the rudder pedals and connector rod finished in Interior Green. The instruments were then hand painted, with the various placards, swithches, taps and knobs picked out in varying colours, before the dials were glazed with Johnson's 'Klear' (Future).
Once the assembly was dry, or as dry as it was going to get, the combined bomb bay roof/cockpit floor was cemented into the port fuselage half, which was a bit fiddly. I'm not sure if this was due to the previously mentioned warping, or the very small locating points, or a combination of these, but it took some time to get it all square.
The rear bulkhead was masked, painted, then fitted into position, again a bit fiddly, then the bomb bay bulkheads fitted front and rear, after painting the radio and radar gear on the rear bulkhead. The observers seat was fitted at this stage, as I needed the rear bulkhead to help align the seat to ensure it would be clear of the canopy once fitted. The radio operator's seat, in the belly of the kite, is shown in the instructions to be mounted facing forward. However, as I had seen a couple of pics, and a cutaway drawing, showing this mounted to face inboard (possibly on a swivel?), I thought it would be a good way to mount this, allowing more view, albeit restricted, into the interior from the open entrance hatch. Again, the seat belts were made from painted paper strips.
The bomb racks were fitted along the outer walls of the bomb bay, and the latter painted in Zinc Chromate, which again refused to dry properly, actually flaking off when I attempted a 'dirty' wash.
Ah well! Onwards and upwards thought I, and continued with the remainder of the main interior, adding the rear bulkhead, the flare chutes and ventral gun frame and the arrestor hook, the latter in the stowed position.
The progress (!) to date is shown in the remaining PICS 7 to 10.
Having tried another dry fit, it looks like I'll have to exerise extreme care when joing the fuselage halves, glueing in stages, commencing at the tail and working forward. It is very possible that there will be a gap at the front, although I'm hoping I can get the top joined more or less snugly. I'm stocking up on superglue and clamps for this one!
Once that done, I'll weather and finish the bomb bay, although the folding doors will be left off until the model is painted.
So, about thirty hours spent so far, only about another forty or fifty to go, at this rate! But there's no rush, I've got 3 months. Just a pity I can't choose WHICH 3 months!!
BTW, apologies for the quality of the pics, I had to use a different light source than usual.

Attachments

• PTO Build 038.jpg
    PTO Build 038.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 113
  • PTO Build 041.jpg
    PTO Build 041.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 117
  • PTO Build 044.jpg
    PTO Build 044.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 115
  • PTO Build 050.jpg
    PTO Build 050.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 114
  • PTO Build 051.jpg
    PTO Build 051.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 115
  • PTO Build 056.jpg
    PTO Build 056.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 128
  • PTO Build 060.jpg
    PTO Build 060.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 121
  • PTO Build 062.jpg
    PTO Build 062.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 132
  • PTO Build 066.jpg
    PTO Build 066.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 123
  • PTO Build 070.jpg
    PTO Build 070.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 114
Thanks Karl and Dan. It just really grips my **** when a very nice kit can face potential ruin by outside influence (ie paint), or warped parts. But, I'm sure I'll manage in the end. (He said hopefully!)

You don't hang around Terry! Lovely work so far, hope she goes together OK! :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back