Boscombe Down Harvard 1/48th scale. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got the primer on. I decided to use Humbrol No.24, matt 'Trainer Yellow' as a primer undercoat, and I'm happy to say it went on beautifully.
Next step, after leaving the primer to dry for around 18 hours, will be to paint the matt black anti glare panels on the nose and cowling, and the black wing walk panels, then mask them ready for spraying the main colour.
This will be the 'Rescue Yellow' used on RAF SAR helicopters, and will be mixed from Humbrol gloss yellow No.69, with a touch of red added to give the deep yellow finish. The entire airframe, including the wheel wells, landing gear legs, and inside surfaces of the flaps has to be this colour, so saves a bit of detail painting.
More pics when the main painting has been done.

Attachments

• Harvard Build 075.jpg
    Harvard Build 075.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 90
Thanks Aaron. I think I'm sorted for pics for now, as there were differences between the Harvard MkIIB and the Texan, especially this particular bird after 67 years service !

Thanks chaps. The primer has revealed a little more work needed at the leading edges of the tail plane joints, which shouldn't be a problem. But I wish manufacturers wouldn't mould items such as the pitot tube as part of the wing ! Damaged it twice so far, then caught it and snapped it off ! Going to replace it with a length of micro tube.
With a bit of luck, I might get the first coat of gloss yellow done tonight - pics soon.

Thanks Hugh.
Just went to mix the gloss yellow and red, and found the yellow has gone almost hard in the tin! Not Humbrol's fault this time - the tin was about 10 years old! Still OK for brushing, but not for thinning and spraying.
So, on to 'Plan B' - mix matt yellow with a spot or two of red, then apply a gloss clear coat when dry.
Might have some pics of something later.

Thanks very much Matt and Wojtek, I appreciate it.
'Plan B' went well, and the deep yellow has been sprayed overall, and on the cowling and flaps. (Reminds me of 'Kodak Yellow' - I wonder why?!!)
The main gear legs have also been attended to,
PICS 1 and 2. How it looks to date, with the deeper, 'golden' yellow applied. Next step is the matt black anti-glare panel, and the wing walk panels, then mask and apply the clear gloss.
PIC 3. The main landing gear legs have been cleaned up, brake lines added from lead wire, and the legs and oleos painted. They will be given a coat of clear gloss later.
Thanks again for your continued interest in this little project, and I hope to have the gloss coat etc done tomorrow.

Attachments

• Harvard Build 079.jpg
    Harvard Build 079.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Harvard Build 082.jpg
    Harvard Build 082.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 82
  • Harvard Build 077.jpg
    Harvard Build 077.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 76
Thanks Andy. Got mine from the LHS, made by 'Plus Model', and available in a number of gauges, with a lot of lengths of wire in each pack. They also do lead foil sheets, and both Model Hobbies and Hannant's in the UK stock it.
Here's a pic of the packaging. Note the different gauges shown on the label.

Attachments

• Can Jan 504.jpg
    Can Jan 504.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 79
Thanks Terry. I've heard of the stuff but have not seen it here. It might be a banned product for all I know.

It's basically similar to lead solder Andy, only in thinner gauges than normally found in a hardware store. Should be able to have it sent from the UK, for instance, packaged with a kit. If you need some, and have problems, let me know and I'll send you some.

Thanks very much Tony. The instrument panels have been painted black, and it was too late to change them, but they can only just be seen, and I won't tell anyone if you don't!
Got the black areas painted and re-masked, the fire extinguisher logo and fuel tank filler caps painted, and just doing some very light panel work before applying the gloss clear coat. Might have some pics later.

Cool!! Here is a piccy of a Harvard spade grip of the correct type (for WW2 UK operated examples).

Attachments

• P1030063.jpg
    P1030063.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 74

Users who are viewing this thread

Back