Boscombe Down Harvard 1/48th scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much Andy, it's getting there.
A bit more progress, with the engine and cowling installed, after some minor modifications to the mounting point, the first decals are on, and work is under way making the longer exhaust. I also discovered some small vents on the centre section underside and lower starboard engine cowling which need to be added. Pilot holes have been marked, and these will be drilled later and the tubular vents added from stretched sprue.
PIC 1. The engine and cowling in place, with the crank case and push rod tubes yet to be gloss coated, and a little touch-up on the crank case and other areas.
PICS 2 to 4. The roundel and fin flashes decals in place, sourced from the spares files. The fin flashes, from a Spitfire MkVB, need a little re-touching around the fin leading edge, which will be done when fully set. The serial number and BD crest decals have yet to be made, and will then be applied, along with around 40 or more stencils.
PIC 5. The long exhaust tube will be constructed using a small-bore plastic drinking straw, salvaged from one of those squishy carton drinks.
PIC 6. The start of the exhaust. The straw has been cut to length, with the exhaust end cut diagonally, and a piece of roughly shaped sprue superglued into the front end. This will be correctly shaped, drilled in the end and a small tube inserted, and the joint bound with a strip of tape, to simulate the bracket. Once painted, it will be attached to small blocks of plastic attached inside the exhaust outlet port on the cowling, and on the fuselage side.
That's the state of play so far, and I should get some more done in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• Harvard Build 098.jpg
    Harvard Build 098.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Harvard Build 103.jpg
    Harvard Build 103.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Harvard Build 105.jpg
    Harvard Build 105.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Harvard Build 106.jpg
    Harvard Build 106.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Harvard Build 097.jpg
    Harvard Build 097.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Harvard Build 107.jpg
    Harvard Build 107.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 73
Yes, it's the later canopy in the kit Neil, with less frames per section. Most of this can be taken care of by either masking and painting the extra frames, or making them from painted tape which, if my hands allow, I'll try. The worst part is the fixed, rear glazing, which is the 'short' one in the kit. All I can do there is add the extra frame and hope it looks acceptable, not that many people would notice - I hope !

Thanks very much indeed chaps, it's much appreciated. And Andy - sshh! Don't tell anyone !!

That is more likely to be a 'No Step' symbol....black foot print with red cross, at the trailing edge it is softer/less strong. I have some pix somewhere

Thanks Tony, you're a star ! I know now what the symbol looks like, and there is one on each upper surface of the forward wheel well/wing root joint.
BTW, can you confirm the crest I posted earlier as being the one carried on the aircraft?

Great stuff ! Thanks very much for the help mate, I can now proceed!
Had a bit of a late session, applying the serial number decals, which took over 3 hours!
The home-made serial numbers lacked density, probably due to low ink in my printer, so I opted for individual characters for the fuselage serials, using 'Tally Ho' decals. They're OK, but a pain in the tailpipe to work with, as they're so thin they crease if looked at, and slide and slip all over, being difficult to align properly. Still, they worked, which is the main thing.
The under wing serials were done using the home-made decals, as, in normal viewing angles, the density, or lack, won't be noticed as much.
PIC 1 Shows the 'Tally Ho' serial decals, which need a bit of a clean up, to remove some residue.
PIC 2. The home-made decals under the wings. I should have made these a tad larger, but again, when viewed 'on the ground' the size (and thin density) won't be as noticeable. There's a white outline around the roundels, which are 30 year old 'Matchbox' items, which will need re-touching - b*gg*r !
PIC 3. The wheels and tyres have been painted and assembled, and the number 3 decals added, and are yet to be cleaned in this pic.
Thanks again for the interest, and to Tony for the help, and I'll try to post more pics over the weekend.

Attachments

• Harvard Build 109.jpg
    Harvard Build 109.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 73
  • Harvard Build 112.jpg
    Harvard Build 112.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Harvard Build 113.jpg
    Harvard Build 113.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back