**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G6 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OMG! You're not actually (gulp) gonna BUILD the Eduard kit, are you? I thought it was only good for waving about while standing on top of a soapbox...

That was an attempt at humor, BTW. Place tongue in cheek. Wiggle it a little (say that really fast and it'll make you giggle).

Can't wait to see this build!
:lol:

Thank you for the input guys. All great ideas. I will get to work on that after I get the aerial on the 196. I am thinking a ligthened shade of 66 with a RLM 02 wash.

Dale, as a suggestion on the lighter colour, you might want to try and stay in the same colour ranges. RLM 66 is on the bluer side whereas I find 02 to be more yellow/green. I suggest a more blueish light grey like RLM 76 or something close to that, keeping the brush very dry in that case sice the 76 is VERY light. If you use a darker shade than 76 but lighter than 66, you can put more on. It takes a bit of fiddling until you find a result that you like so I'd suggest you experiment with different colours and see what you end up liking.

Dale, as a suggestion on the lighter colour, you might want to try and stay in the same colour ranges. RLM 66 is on the bluer side whereas I find 02 to be more yellow/green. I suggest a more blueish light grey like RLM 76 or something close to that, keeping the brush very dry in that case sice the 76 is VERY light. If you use a darker shade than 76 but lighter than 66, you can put more on. It takes a bit of fiddling until you find a result that you like so I'd suggest you experiment with different colours and see what you end up liking.

+1 :thumbright: For the dry brushes, I use the color base with some white. Dale, after the RLM66 color and some "juice", mix some white with RLM66 for your dry brushing...

Andy, excellent catch. You are certainly right in the differences in the "base" color. And, Steph, I think is exactly what I will do. I will play around with some tests over the next couple of days. Once I am satisfied with the testing, I will get some highlighting and wear done on the cockpit pieces that are already painted RLM66 and upload a couple of pictures. I have to say, regardless of all the howling about the 109G-6, it is a damned nice kit so far.

I agree with the majority of the above re: lightening your base color for drybrushing but I've found that good old Flat Gull Grey FS36440 works really well as a drybrush color. I find it's neutral enough to apply over anything, so I use it for drybrushing everything. If I need more highlights, I go to flat white. I invariably overdo it, so don't apply my interior wash until after the drybrushing is done. The wash blends the highlighting into the finish, as it were.

Hey, guys,
Well, I am slowly working up the paint on the various cockpit pieces. Lots of very patient airbrushing, lots of patient dry brushing and washing. I have run into a problem I am hoping a couple of you can help me out with. I do not have any 109G references. I found a couple on amazon, but they will not be here until mid next week. Can anyone post or PM me a few pics of the cockpit for me? Sidewalls, floor, IP, and such? That way I can get some work done this weekend. Thanks in advance for all the help, guys.

Thanks for all the input on the dry brushing and washes. I think I am getting something I like with the cockpit so far.

Last edited:
G-6 Cockpit pics from my reference folder:

bf109_cockpit_photo2.jpg
bk6.throttle.assembly.jpg
bk6_interior_7.jpg
bk6_o2reg.jpg
bk6_oxy_hose.jpg

Excellent pics. But where'd the yellow fuel line on the starboard side disappear to? It's in the 1st pic and then gone.

Hey, Slam, I have to agree with you on gull gray. I use that or light/dark ghost gray quite a bit. I often use a tiny amount of lgt ghost gray when I paint on those white ID fuselage bands. And I mean tiny. It knocks down that jarring "glare" of the pure white while not altering the shade to my eye. I do the same with yellow as well.
All. 3 shades of grey are very versatile.

Last edited:
The pics are from different aircraft. The one without the fuel line is incomplete but it was an excellent reference for the oxygen system. Obviously the fuel line should be there.

Hey, Guys,
Just about done with cockpit floor assembly. I need to let the rudder pedals dry in place then paint em RLM66 and scuff em up a bit and add the shoulder harness as well. Bloody PE stuff can drive me nuts some days. I finally figured out how to get that bend in the heel supports without breaking one off. I have a start on the side walls, but not enough to make it worth posting any pics. I will continue on that work this week. I sure would like to have the fuse closed up by the end of the coming week.
Cockpit Tub Lft Frn 2.JPG

Cockpit Tub Rgt Rear.JPG

Cockpit Tub Lft Frnt.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back