**** DONE: 1/48 Hurricane Mk1 V6555 S/L RR Stanford Tuck BoB GB (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No problem Peter. The info regarding the hatch came from a scale drawing, and, checking further, meant that the hatch was added in later production batches, and retrofitted to earlier aircraft by November. As mentioned, there were exceptions, and some earlier aircraft, particularly in the 'L' series of serial blocks, still didn't have the hatch fitted as late as mid September. I was going to do the 1/32nd scale kit as a survivor of the Battle, now in the Science Museum, London, which doesn't have the hatch - until I discovered it still had the early, fabric-covered wings !
Thank heavens for good reference pics !

No problem Peter. The info regarding the hatch came from a scale drawing, and, checking further, meant that the hatch was added in later production batches, and retrofitted to earlier aircraft by November. As mentioned, there were exceptions, and some earlier aircraft, particularly in the 'L' series of serial blocks, still didn't have the hatch fitted as late as mid September. I was going to do the 1/32nd scale kit as a survivor of the Battle, now in the Science Museum, London, which doesn't have the hatch - until I discovered it still had the early, fabric-covered wings !
Thank heavens for good reference pics !

Amen. Still it was something I had not thought about until you mentioned it, and this info will come in handy. It is one of those interesting details that make the difference.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Glenn

Here's today's update.

Pic 1
The painting stage. I gave a first light coat of Dark Earth over the top surfaces using Humbrol 29 Dark Earth. And then did some pre-shading using matt black along the panel lines.

Pic 2
Second coat of Dark Earth on and the pre-shading is just visible through the top coat.

Pic 3
Start of the masking. I scaled a camouflage pattern for a Hurricane to 1/48 and cut out the pieces and then transferred these shapes to Tamiya tape (Handy stuff). The pattern was actually in the Hasegawa instructions, and I made a few adjustments here and there to match the profile in the decal instructions for V6555.

Pic 4
Fully Masked, fingers crossed.

Pic 5
Okey Dokey, the Dark green is on.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• painting shading 001 - resized.jpg
    painting shading 001 - resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 107
  • painting de 001 - resized.jpg
    painting de 001 - resized.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 105
  • painting masking 001 - resized.jpg
    painting masking 001 - resized.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 107
  • painting masking 002 - resized.jpg
    painting masking 002 - resized.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 90
  • painting dg 001 - resized.jpg
    painting dg 001 - resized.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Look'in good Pete!seems more and more the hard demarcation lines look better in 1/48 and esp. 1/72.Now start getting into 1/32 a slight blur seems to be the trick.Cheers

Look'in good Pete!seems more and more the hard demarcation lines look better in 1/48 and esp. 1/72.Now start getting into 1/32 a slight blur seems to be the trick.Cheers

I agree. In 1/48th or smaller I think the hard lines look more realistic.

I agree also. Looking through scads of Hurricane photos, including factory shots, it would be difficult to argue otherwise. The factory demarcation was only very slightly feathered at full scale, and if there is some distance between the photographer and Hurricane, then they appear hard.

Cheers

Peter

Wayne, masks were sometimes used, but it was mainly done freehand, often following chalked lines, which is why you'll always see variations in the basic patterns, particularly on rudders, and the area beneath and to the rear of the cockpit.
Whenever possible, as with most details, it's best to have a reference photo of the specific aircraft being modelled. The very fine feathered edge looks almost hard - edged even up close in full size, so virtually impossible to truly replicate, even in 1/24th scale - so go for a hard edge. BUT ! It depends what the aircraft is, the date of manufacture and where etc, as there were true hard-edge, fine feathered, soft edged, and fully feathered finishes on various RAF types, and different Mark to mark sometimes.
One thing to look out for is the edge spray itself - this was sometimes done last, giving a 'shadow' effect in certain lighting conditions. This shows up in photos, when the light is at the right angle, as a darker line.
Of course, there were similar variations with Luftwaffe patterns, depending on aircraft type, factory, pattern, date, etc etc.
It's a 'dangerous' path to take to go for hard-edge in small scales, getting softer the bigger the scale, so again, reference pics!
Get into 1950s and 1960s RAF camouflage schemes, and this can be a real trial of detective work !

Wayne, masks were sometimes used, but it was mainly done freehand, often following chalked lines, which is why you'll always see variations in the basic patterns, particularly on rudders, and the area beneath and to the rear of the cockpit.
Whenever possible, as with most details, it's best to have a reference photo of the specific aircraft being modelled. The very fine feathered edge looks almost hard - edged even up close in full size, so virtually impossible to truly replicate, even in 1/24th scale - so go for a hard edge. BUT ! It depends what the aircraft is, the date of manufacture and where etc, as there were true hard-edge, fine feathered, soft edged, and fully feathered finishes on various RAF types, and different Mark to mark sometimes.
One thing to look out for is the edge spray itself - this was sometimes done last, giving a 'shadow' effect in certain lighting conditions. This shows up in photos, when the light is at the right angle, as a darker line.
Of course, there were similar variations with Luftwaffe patterns, depending on aircraft type, factory, pattern, date, etc etc.
It's a 'dangerous' path to take to go for hard-edge in small scales, getting softer the bigger the scale, so again, reference pics!
Get into 1950s and 1960s RAF camouflage schemes, and this can be a real trial of detective work !

Here's a photo that I think illustrates Terry point perfectly.8)

Attachments

• hurricane L1582.jpg
    hurricane L1582.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back