**** DONE: 1/48 Kittyhawk IV "Cleopatra III" - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, Glenn, the picture does not reveal that the spill is actually quite thick, and with a double ridge to boot. Can't believe I did that.

Anyhoo, I set about the repair today and here's the sequence so far, in order of the pics: spill sanded off and/or smoothed into surrounding paint and masks applied; new scribing (not too great but that's ok and will be hidden) and a coat of Tamiya Khaki and NATO green on the scallop; a second patchy coat of thinned Tamiya Khaki Green to darken and blend into the surrounding camo, followed by a coat of Flat Clear.

14012401.jpg

14012402.jpg

14012403.jpg

After this is allowed to fully cure overnight, I'll wash the seams again, chip the paint, and reapply the exhaust stains.

Damn nice repair there, Andy. Not sure I would have the patience. I would probably stuff it all back in the box and put it away for a few months.

Thanks very much everyone. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Wayne a "man of my skills" would not have let that happen in the first place. F!ing stupid but lesson learned!

wow, great recovery Andy! SG over a done and weathered finish... that is a tough clean up.

Thanks very much everyone. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Wayne a "man of my skills" would not have let that happen in the first place. F!ing stupid but lesson learned!

Hey man, sh*t like that happens to everyone...sooner or later! Know I've had a few good ones in my time....

Thanks everyone. Here's the finished cowl with weathering and exhaust stain reinstated. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out though the rescribed panel lines are not quite up to snuff.

14012701.jpg

In the meantime, work was completed on the bombs. For these, I chucked out the thick fins that the kit bombs provided and installed the Eduard PE fins included with my Hellcat kit. While I was at it, I installed the little turbine for the rear fuse that was also on the Eduard PE sheet. The yellow stripes on the bombs are hand painted as the Hasegawa decals didn't even come close to fitting.

14011901.jpg

Arriving at the right time were the two resin wheels that Terry kindly procured for me. These are real gems and are a great enhancement for the kit.

14012704.jpg

Wheels and bombs installed. The brake line is 0.3mm lead wire.

14012702.jpg

Another view of the underside with wheels and bombs installed. The bombs fit back onto the intricate racks nicely after a little persuasion, and this time, no CA was spilled!

14012703.jpg

Now it's down to the last few fiddly bits - antennae, nav and landing lights, and the landing gear doors. Won't be long now. Thanks again for all the nice comments guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back