**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aaaah schmick. One letter different than what I read. After two days of bed rest with my foot elevated, I managed to hobble into the basement to do some modlin'. I submit for your consideration a photo of the aircraft I'm building. The decal sheet shows no fuselage band but as Karl(Rochie) pointed out, the photo show one, albeit, very faint.
11.jpg

I am of the opinion that the band is incomplete, either just being painted or removed(either way, the guy posing is a slacker),red arrows pointing to where I think the paint ends. Below the s/n is a faint line running down the fuselage which I think is where the band was, yellow arrow.
1.jpg

Any thoughts before I waddle back to the dungeon?

Geo

Looking nice Geo. The B&W pic reminds me early 60'.

Pretty cool Bill. I just noticed on the top photo in Post#81 and in the negative, a feint line running through the top of the 8 in the s/n and up to the remnants of the band so I'm gonna say that the band is mostly removed. This is my first time using Iliad decals so I did the topside roundels first as I have plenty of spares in case they don't react well with solutions. Updates after the hockey game.

Geo

2nd Intermission, stupid Canucks...Wracking my brains out on how to deal with the discoloration caused by, what I'm hoping is, the removed fuselage band. One train of thought deals with, masking off for the band and rubbing greyish pastels in the masked off area. The beauty of this is, if it doesn't work, it can be removed; downside, the topcoat might remove it. The other train of thought, approaching from the opposite direction, is to use, if I can find it, Tamiya Smoke. As I have never opened the bottle, I have no idea on the opacity of said Smoke. I probably won't attempt either of these methods until after the third hockey game of the day is over, about nine hours from now, my time. Any thoughts on these ideas or others that may be provided will be greatly appreciated. Stupid Canucks

Geo

My three cents to the tail band... I would like to pay your attention to the fin and rudder top where the similar effect can be noticed. Here is a shot of the 73 OTU P-47s with camo uniform. So it is possible the "silver" P-47 was repainted with the aluminium colour over a such camo ( the profile below ) and the difference in the paint backgrounf caused the effect.

tbolt2_181.jpg

73Sq-30.JPG

Thank you Wojtek. Somewhere in this universe, I saw another Silver 73OTU Thunderbolt II and as always, I neglected to copy or make note of it. I've devoted way too much time searching for it and for now I'll leave the serials and band alone and deal with the rest of the build.

Geo

What ever is going on with my foot has returned with vengeance. Hardly likely to be going back to camp this week and to see a doctor in a small town with little notice is not possible. If I go to Emergency, I have to wait for two other patients to show up before they call a doctor in. Anyhoo, enough whining and on to modlin'. Iliad Decals are very hardy, perhaps too hardy. Odd thing is, while they snuggle down over the raised details, they won't set into the panel lines after one application of each Solvaset and Mr. Mark Softer. Once they are all on, I'll work on getting them all down.

001.JPG
004.JPG

I dry-brushed a darker shade of aluminium where the fuselage band would be, unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and placed the tape in the wrong spot so I'll redo it in a bit.

002.JPG

I might have to tone it down a bit but pretty close to the original photo, n'est pas?

Geo

EDIT: I'll get the angle right yet.

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron and A15. Nothing done since my last update as I can't manage stairs at the moment. On the plus side, no work for 2 weeks. Hopefully back at it in a few days to add the fiddley break-offy things and this puppy is done.

Geo

Fine bit of modelling Geo, sorry to hear about the foot though, sounds painful.

I had a suit case dropped on my big toe first day of the big holiday way back in late August, hurt like hell for a couple of weeks and had to go and buy a new pair of shoes, just to fit over it. Now the nail is just starting to come away on one side, but the other side is good, so I've now got it band aided down to stop catching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back