**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Bf 109E4 Black 8 of 2/JG3 Ofw Bernhard Lampskemper Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Had a squiz in one of my JG 3 books and while the book states Red numbers early on for the 109's ...they then switch to Black numbers including your Black 8 Andy....

Nice work so far mate!

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the confirmation Wayne.

I can't remember who raised it but there was another post that talked about the wing root gaps on this Tamiya kit. Most responders didn't see an issue, nor have I now that I glued the wings on and close the gaps by pulling the wingtips to the fuselage with tape. However, I'm not sure but this may have introduced a little more dihedral than on the real aircraft. Anyone else notice this?

EDIT: Withdrawn. I checked some 3 view diagrams and it came out bang on. Seemed a bit much at first.

Last edited:
The fuselage, wings, and tail plane are now together after having set overnight. Here's how it looks overall right now. The entire surfaces have been sanded for painting and, yes, the notorious sink marks on the wing upper surfaces are gone. The engine cowl dry fit is excellent so I decided to leave it off for painting so that I can mask the guns and engine areas that will be seen through the various holes. The area behind the cockpit will need another splash of RLM 02 before the canopy is glued on as I did some seam work after the halves went together.

100910 Overall.jpg

As I stated before and as many of you have no doubt experienced, the fit is excellent. Here is the underside where the wing meets the fuselage. The tiny amounts of putty needed are evident, although a but more is required to fill the recess on the port side. Fuselage center joint has been sanded and rescribed.

100910 Underside Filling.jpg

Here is the area at the wing leading edge to fuselage pretty much ready for a prime coat. Lost panel lines along the leading edge are rescribed. Again, excellent fit is seen with the oil cooler cowl matching the fuselage exactly.

100910 Leading Edge.jpg

The painting sequence of the prop and hub invovles 6 different colours so the sequence needed to be thought out. The prop blades have received their coats of RLM 70. Once cured, they will be masked off and the hub painted aluminum. For the spinner, the inner surfaces have received a coat of RLM 02. To facilitate the black/white/red paint on the spinner, I glued the two parts together temporarily with tiny dots of CA glue. The spinner will then be masked, painted, and then taken apart agin to fit the prop.

100910 Prop and Hub.jpg

That's it for now. I hope to get a coat of primer on today and fix any imperfections before launching into the camo on the weekend.

Nice work Andy. I like that prop hub, with the gearing for the pitch control. It's interesting that Tamiya have provided the instrument panel with the blanking plate or the original position of the prop pitch control, but moulded the throttle quadrant with the early throttle grip.
I'll check the Jagdwaffe volume, but I think the pic and profile aer from there anyway, and it mentions that the aircraft might have been his, if my memory is correct, although, as you say, the number looks different.

Nice job Andy. All the little scratched bits look great.

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

I had a major disaster today. Things were going along very well. I had the final prime coat on and had finished pinting the yellow areas (Pics 1 and 2) and was masking these off. Then as I was reaching for something, I knocked the model off my desk into my lap and instinctively brought my legs together to prevent the model from falling to the floor. Unfortunately, I just caught it such that I squeezed the wings together, breaking and bending one at mid span and completely tearing the other off, before the whole mess went crashing to the floor. Pics 3 and 4 show the result.

After a lap around my workshop to calm down, I proceeded with starting to repair the bent and broken wing but am not sure I will be able to get it to be good as new. In pic 5 I've clamped it to a straight piece of wood and filled the crack with Tamiya extra-thin liquid glue. We'll see how it goes.

Pi$$ed me off I tell you.

Attachments

• 100911 Overall Primed.jpg
    100911 Overall Primed.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 100911 Overall with Yellow.jpg
    100911 Overall with Yellow.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 100912 Broken Bits.jpg
    100912 Broken Bits.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 100912 Broken Bits Closeup.jpg
    100912 Broken Bits Closeup.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 100912 Wing clamped.jpg
    100912 Wing clamped.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 70
S**t ! What a piece of cr*p luck mate ! I actually did exactly the same thing yesterday, with the cockpit assembly of my '109!
Fortunately, due to the Arthritis, my reactions, although still quick, aren't a positive as they were, and I avoided exerting too much pressure - accidentally, I must add - and avoided any major damage.
As long as the wing pulls out straight, the crack etc shouldn't be a problem I think. I hope it does turn out OK, and now I know what that banshee howling cursing noise was I feintly heard drifting in from the west !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back