**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Bf 109E4 Black 8 of 2/JG3 Ofw Bernhard Lampskemper Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's looking great Andy, especially with the Tatzelwurm on the nose. Re the crosses, don't forget that they would have changed from the smaller cross to the type in the decals, so wouldn't be very worn or faded, being possibly only a couple of months old, maybe less.

I would leave 'em Andy, but if you did want to tone them down a tad you could add some light grey to your flat coat and lightly overspray the crosses but very light coats so the effect is very subtle...building it up ever so slightly....with a couple of passes....

I would leave 'em Andy, but if you did want to tone them down a tad you could add some light grey to your flat coat and lightly overspray the crosses but very light coats so the effect is very subtle...building it up ever so slightly....with a couple of passes....

:-k :D you got the gears going again.

Cheers Wayne and Kevin.

Wayne sounds good but I actually just finished my flat coat session without having tried what you said. I'll definitely try that somewhere though. I have yet to do my finishing touches on my winter Bf-110 which may be a better candidate.

Pics tonight.

Thanks David.

As promised, following are pics of the build as of tonight with the decals on and Dullcoat sprayed on. Fiddly bits are starting to go on as well. Unfortunately I busted off the little post on the fine for the antenna and this has been replaced with a scruffy piece of card that will need to be shaped a bit before touching up.

The model is looking a bit too factory fresh at the moment for my liking. I'll now break out the silver pencil and pastels and weather this bird a bit. Hopefully will get done this weekend. Golfing tomorrow though so no work til Saturday. Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Attachments

• 100923 Dullcoat on 1.jpg
    100923 Dullcoat on 1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 100923 Dullcoat on 2.jpg
    100923 Dullcoat on 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 100923 Dullcoat on 3.jpg
    100923 Dullcoat on 3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 79
Looks great Andy. I tried my dusting idea this afternoon, took a powder compact of a very light shade, an soft powder brush and dusted the kite down. It did dull down the decals gave the model a dirty unwashed look.

Thanks Vic. I'll probably reserve that for another time as this one's almost done. Just need to put the antenna wire on and final touch ups. I'm experimenting with ways to make those little cones the Germans put on their antenna wires.

Not that its all that visable in my pix of the 'stuka' but i used little blobs of super glue. they look ok in this scale

cheers
pete

Thanks guys. I do use those techniques but never manage to get a conical shape represented. I did succeed though, after many attempts with different thicknesses of card and shapes of mandrels (pins, scribing tools, scratch awls. dremel bits...) heated vs unheated, but finally found a combination of thin card and an unheated awl and pin that made the right cone shape. I shoudl have pics up tomorrow of the finished build and will take some close-ups of the cone.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back